Recent Faculty Publications and Awards
A roundup of publications and awards since January 2021.
A roundup of publications and awards since January 2021.
- “Multicentre Methodological Study to Create a Publicly Available Score of Hospital Financial Standing in the USA.” Antle, R. Zinovlev, H. Krumholz, R. Ciccarone, and H. Forman. BMJ Open 2021;11: e046500. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-046500.
- "The Labor Market for Teachers Under Different Pay Schemes."Biasi, Barbara.
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 13(2), pp. 65-102 (2021).
- “Toward an Understanding of Public Health Entrepreneurship and Intrapreneurship”. Chahine, T. (2021). Frontiers in Public Health. 9:298 https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2021.593553
- “Business models for primary health care delivery in low- and middle-income countries: a scoping study of nine social entrepreneurs”. Lokman, L., Chahine, T. (2021). BMC Health Services Research. 21: 211. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-021-06225-6
- “The Evolution of Trust Within a Global Health Partnership with the Private Sector: An Inductive Framework”. Christie, S., Chahine, T., Curry, L., Cherlin, E., Linnander, E. (2021). International Journal of Health Policy and Management. https://dx.doi.org/10.34172/ijhpm.2021.14
- “Water Purification Efforts and the Black-White Infant Mortality Gap, 1906-1938.” (with Mark Anderson, Daniel Rees, and Tianyi Wang. Journal of Urban Economics, March 2021, 122.
- “Leisure Luxuries and the Labor Supply of Young Men,” (with Mark Aguiar, Mark Bils and Erik Hurst), Journal of Political Economy. February 2021, Vol. 129(2): 337-382.
- “Nursing Home Staff Networks and COVID-19”. Keith Chen, Judith A. Chevalier, Elisa F. Long. Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences, January 2021.
- Reputation with Opportunities for Coasting”. Heski Bar-Isaac and Joyee Deb, Journal of the European Economic Association, Vol. 19, Issue 1, February 2021.
- “Testing the efficacy of three informational interventions for reducing misperceptions of the Black-White wealth gap”. Callaghan, B., Harouni, H., Dupree, C. H., Kraus, M. K., & Richeson, J. A. (2021). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(38), e2108875118.
- “Black and Latinx conservatives upshift competence relative to liberals in mostly-White settings”. Dupree, C. H. (2021). Nature Human Behavior.
- “Hierarchy profiling: How and why hierarchy-relevance of a leadership role impacts racial hiring evaluations”. Dupree, C. H., & Torrez, B. (2021). Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 96, 104185.
- “Psychological science is not race neutral”. Dupree, C. H., & Kraus, M. K. (2021). Perspectives on Psychological Science.
- “Racial inequality in academia: Systemic origins, modern challenges, and policy recommendations”. Dupree, C. H. & Boykin, C. M. (2021). Policy Insights from Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 8(1), 11-18.
- “Race-status associations: Distinct effects of three novel measures among White and Black perceivers”. Dupree, C. H.,Torrez, B., Obianuju, O., & Fiske, S. T. (2021). Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 120(3), 601–625.
- “Killer Acquisitions”. Colleen Cunningham, Florian Ederer, Song Ma, Journal of Political Economy. Vol. 129, No. 3, pp. 649–702, March 2021 (lead article).
- “Monetary Policy and Central Banking in the Covid Era”, (Edited with Kristin Forbes and Angel Ubide). London: CEPR, 2021.
- “Monetary Policy and Central Banking in the Covid Era: Key Insights and Challenges for the Future,” in Monetary Policy and Central Banking in the Covid Era, Bill English, Kristin Forbes, and Angel Ubide, London: CEPR, 2021.
- “SARS-CoV-2 Infection Hospitalization Rate and Infection Fatality Rate Among the Non-Congregate Population in Connecticut”. Mahajan, Shiwani; Caraballo, Cesar; Li, Shu-Xia; Dong, Yike; Chen, Lian; Huston, Sara K; Srinivasan, Rajesh; Redlich, Carrie A; Ko, Albert I; Faust, Jeremy S; Forman, Howard P; Krumholz, Harlan M. American Journal of Medicine. 2021 Feb 20.
- “Association of Graduate Medical Education With Hospital Performance and Patient Outcomes”. Zinoviev, Radoslav; Krumholz, Harlan M; Pirruccio, Kevin; Forman, Howard. JAMA Network Open. 4(1): e2034196, 2021 01 04.
- “Multicentre methodological study to create a publicly available score of hospital financial standing in the USA”. R Zinoviev, HM Krumholz, R Ciccarone, R Antle, HP Forman - BMJ open, 2021
- “Perceiving progress toward social equality: A model of signals and sensemaking”. Georgeac, O. A. M., & Rattan, A. (2021). Current Opinion in Psychology. Advanced online publication. doi: 10.1016/j.copsyc.2021.08.012
- “No guts, no glory? How risk-taking shapes dominance, prestige, and leadership endorsement”. van Kleef, G. A., Heerdink, M. W., Cheshin, A., Stamkou, E., Wanders, F., Koning, L. F., Fang, X., & Georgeac, O. A. M. (2021). Journal of Applied Psychology. Advanced online publication. doi: 10.1037/apl0000868.
- "Climate Change and Long-Run Discount Rates: Evidence from Real Estate" (with Maggiori, Rao, Stroebel, Weber): Review of Financial Studies (2021), 34(8)
- "Asset Pricing with Omitted Factors", (with Dacheng Xiu), Journal of Political Economy (2021), 129(7).
- "The joint dynamics of investor beliefs and trading during the COVID-19 crash", (with Maggiori, Johannes and Stephen Utkus), PNAS (2021), 118(4)
- "Five Facts About Beliefs and Portfolios", (with Maggiori, Stroebel, and Utkus), American Economic Review (2021), 111(5)
- "Hedging macroeconomic and financial uncertainty and volatility", (with Ian Dew-Becker and Bryan Kelly): Journal of Financial Economics (2021), 142
- "Thousands of alpha tests", (with Yuan Liao and Dacheng Xiu), Review of Financial Studies (2021), 34(7)
- "Taming the Factor Zoo: A Test of New Factors", (with Guanhao Feng and Dacheng Xiu), Journal of Finance (2020), 75(3)
- "Hedging Climate Change News", (with Engle, Kelly, Lee and Stroebel), Review of Financial Studies (2020), 33(3)
- “Changes in Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Access to Care and Health Among US Adults at Age 65 Years. Jacob Wallace, Karen Jiang, Paul Goldsmith-Pinkham, Zirui Song. July 2021. JAMA Internal Medicine.
- “Interacting Regional Policies in Containing a Disease”. Arun G. Chandrasekhar, Paul Goldsmith-Pinkham, Matthew O. Jackson, Samuel Thau. April 2021. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- “Effects of a large-scale social media advertising campaign on holiday travel and COVID-19 infections: a cluster randomized controlled trial”. Emily Breza, Fatima Cody Stanford, Marcella Alsan, Burak Alsan, Abhijit Banerjee, Arun G. Chandrasekhar, Sarah Eichmeyer, Traci Glushko, Paul Goldsmith-Pinkham, Kelly Holland, Emily Hoppe, Mohit Karnani, Sarah Liegl, Tristan Loisel, Lucy Ogbu-Nwobodo, Benjamin A. Olken, Carlos Torres, Pierre-Luc Vautrey, Erica T. Warner, Susan Wootton & Esther Duflo. Nature Medicine. August 2021.
- “Effect of Physician-Delivered COVID-19 Public Health Messages and Messages Acknowledging Racial Inequity on Black and White Adults’ Knowledge, Beliefs, and Practices Related to COVID-19”. Carlos Torres, Lucy Ogbu-Nwobodo, Marcella Alsan, Fatima Cody Stanford, Abhijit Banerjee, Emily Breza, Arun G Chandrasekhar, Sarah Eichmeyer 1, Mohit Karnani, Tristan Loisel, Paul Goldsmith-Pinkham, Benjamin A Olken, Pierre-Luc Vautrey, Erica Warner, Esther Duflo, COVID-19 Working Group. JAMA Network. Open, July 2021.
- “Entrepreneurs and the Truth” by Kyle Jensen, Tom Byers, Laura Dunham, and Jon Fjeld. HBR, July–August 2021 Issue.
- “Modeling Local Coronavirus Outbreaks”. JT Chang, EH Kaplan (2021). European Journal of Operational Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2021.07.049
- “Repeat SARS-CoV-2 testing models for residential college populations.” JT Chang, FW Crawford, EH Kaplan (2021). Health Care Management Science 24 (2), 305-318. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10729-020-09526-0
- “Aligning SARS-CoV-2 indicators via an epidemic model: application to hospital admissions and RNA detection in sewage sludge”. EH Kaplan, D Wang, M Wang, AA Malik, A Zulli, JH Peccia (2021). Health Care Management Science 24 (2), 320-329. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10729-020-09525-1
- “Firm Volatility in Granular Networks” (with B. Herskovic, H. Lustig and S. Van Nieuwerburgh). Journal of Political Economy, 2021
- “Measuring Technological Change Over the Long Run”. (with D. Papanikolaou, A. Seru and M. Taddy). American Economic Review, Insights, 2021.
- “Understanding Momentum and Reversals” (with S. Pruitt and T. Moskowitz). Journal of Financial Economics, 2021.
- “Autoencoder Asset Pricing Models” (with S. Gu and D. Xiu). Journal of Econometrics, 2021.
- “Hedging Macroeconomic Uncertainty and Volatility” (with I. Dew-Becker and S. Giglio). Journal of Financial Economics, 2021.
- “Text Selection” (with A. Manela and A. Moreira). Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 2021.
- “Climate Finance” (with S. Giglio and J. Stroebel). Annual Review of Financial Economics, 2021.
- “Patent Class Contrast and the Impact of Technological Innovations”. Balázs Kovács, Gianluca Carnabuci, Filippo Carlo Wezel (2021). Strategic Management Journal 42(5):992-1023.
- “Social Networks and Loneliness During the COVID-19 Pandemic”. Balázs Kovács, Nicholas Caplan, Samuel Grob, and Marissa King (2021). Socius 7:1-16.
- “Says who?: Audiences’ social identities influence perceptions of organizational authenticity”. Balázs Kovács and Suzanne Horwitz (2021). Strategic Organization 19(3) 384–413.
- “Linguistic style similarity and network formation”. Balázs Kovács and Adam Kleinbaum (2020) Psychological Science 31(2) 202–213.
- “County-level cannabis dispensary counts are associated with lower opioid-related mortality rates in cannabis-legal states”. Greta Hsu and Balázs Kovács (2021). The BMJ (British Medical Journal) 372:m4957, 1-10.
- “Killer Acquisitions,” with Colleen Cunningham and Florian Ederer, 2021, Journal of Political Economy, 129 (3), 649-702, Lead Article.
- “Online Resource Allocation under Partially Predictable Demand.'' (with D. Hwang and P. Jaillet). Operations Research, 2021
- “Fair Dynamic Rationing.'' (with R. Niazadeh and S. Rodilitz). Proceedings of the 22nd ACM Conference on Economics and Computation (EC), 2021.
- “Learning Product Rankings Robust to Fake Users.'' (with N. Golrezaei, J. Schneider, and S. Sekar). Proceedings of the 22nd ACM Conference on Economics and Computation (EC), 202.
- “Designing Approximately Optimal Search on Matching Platforms.'' (with N. Immorlica, B. Lucier, and A. Wei). Proceedings of the 22nd ACM Conference on Economics and Computation (EC), 2021.
- “Can Network Theory-Based Targeting Increase Technology Adoption?” Beaman, A. BenYishay, J. Magruder and A.M. Mobarak, American Economic Review, 111 (6): 1918-1943, June 2021. Paper, Online Appendix, Data Set
- “COVID-19 Vaccine Acceptance and Hesitancy in Low and Middle– Income Countries, and Implications for Messaging,” Solis Arce, A. M. Mobarak* et al, Nature – Medicine Paper Policy Brief
- “Falling Living Standards during the COVID-19 Crisis: Quantitative Evidence from Nine Developing Countries,”Egger, D., A. M. Mobarak, et al. Science – Advances, February 5, 2021, DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.abe0997 Paper
- “The Benefits and Costs of Social Distancing in High and Low Income Countries,”Barnett-Howell, Z., A. M. Mobarak and O. J. Watson, Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene January 13, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1093/trstmh/traa140, Paper
- “Understanding Momentum and Reversals,” 2021, (with Bryan Kelly and Seth Pruitt). Journal of Financial Economics, Volume 140, 726-743.
- “The Rules of Co-opetition” Adam Brandenburger & Barry Nalebuff. January-February 2021. Harvard Business Review.
- “Sell/Buy Bundling”. Adam Brandenburger & Barry Nalebuff. September 2021.CPI Antitrust Chronicle.
- “Rethinking Negotiation”. Adam Brandenburger & Barry Nalebuff. November-December 2021. Harvard Business Review.
- “Asymmetric Hedonic Contrast: Pain Is More Contrast Dependent Than Pleasure”. Guy Voichek, Nathan Novemsky. Psychological Science. 2021 Jul;32(7):1038-1046. doi: 0.1177/0956797621991140.
- “Projecting Religious Demographics: The Case of Jews in the United States, Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion. 2021 60(2):229–251.
- “Critical Care Nursing: A Key Constraint to COVID-19 Response and Healthcare Now and in the Future” A Kurth, E Pinker, RA Martinello, L Honan, S Choi, B Beckman. JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration 51 (3), E6-E12.
- "No laughing matter: Why humor mistakes are more damaging for men than women."Reich, Taly, Sam J. Maglio, and Alexander G. Fulmer. (2021). Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 96, 104169.
- "Evolving choice sets: The effect of dynamic (vs. static) choice sets on preferences." Reich, Taly, Jennifer Savary, and Daniella Kupor. (2021), Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes,164: 147-157.
- “Targeted Advertising and Consumer Inference”. Shin, Jiwoong, and Jungju Yu (2021), Marketing Science, 40(5), 900-922.
- “Inefficiencies in Digital Advertising Markets,” Gordon, Brett, Kinshuk Jerath, Zsolt Katona, Sridhar Narayanan, Jiwoong Shin, and Ken Wilbur (2021), Journal of Marketing, 85(1), 7-25.
- "Can the Market Multiply and Divide? Non-Proportional Thinking in Financial Markets," Shue, Kelly and Richard Townsend, Journal of Finance, 2021, 76(5): 2307-2357.
- “Business Restrictions and COVID-19 Fatalities”. Matthew Spiegel, Heather Tookes. Review of Financial Studies in June 2021. Article link: https://academic.oup.com/rfs/advance-article/doi/10.1093/rfs/hhab069/6304878.
- “Coresets for Time Series Clustering,” (with Lingxiao Huang and Nisheeth Vishnoi), Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), Selected for Spotlight (<3% of 9000+ submissions), 2021.
- “Attribute Sentiment Scoring with Online Text Reviews: Accounting for Language Structure and Attribute Self-Selection,” (with Ishita Chakraborty and Minkyung Kim), Journal of Marketing Research, Published Online September 2021.
- “A Structural Model of a Multi-Tasking Salesforce: Job Task Allocation and Incentive Plan Design,” (with Minkyung Kim and Kosuke Uetake), Management Science, Published Online, September 2021.
- “Effects of Cost-Information Transparency on Intertemporal Price Discrimination” (with Baojun Jiang and Tianxin Zou), Production and Operations Management, April 2021.
- “A Model of Multi-Pass Search: Price Search Across Stores and Time,” (with Navid Mojir), Management Science, April 2021.
- “What Explains Differences in Finance Research Productivity During the Pandemic?” With Brad Barber, Wei Jiang, Adair Morse, Manju Puri, and Ingrid Werner, 2021, Journal of Finance 74(4), 1655-1697.
- “Taxation and market power in the legal marijuana industry”, with Brett Hollenbeck (UCLA Anderson) in RAND Journal of Economics. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1756-2171.12384.
- “A Structural Model of a Multitasking Salesforce: Incentives, Private Information, and Job Design,” with Minkyung Kim (UNC Chapel Hill) and K. Sudhir (Yale) in Management Science
- “Misaligned Meaning: Couples’ Work-Orientation Incongruence and Their Work Outcomes”. Jiang, W. Y., & Wrzesniewski, A. (2021). Organization Science, (0), 1-25.
Kai Hao Yang:
- “Efficient demands in a multi-product monopoly”. Kai Hao Yang. Journal of Economic Theory, Volume 197, October 2021, 105330.
- "Mitigating the Backfire Effect Using Pacing and Leading", Qi Yang, Khizar Qureshi, and Tauhid Zaman, accepted for oral presentation at Complex Networks 2021.
- “Duration Sensitivity of Key Moments”. Weingarten, Evan, Gal Zauberman, and Kristin Diehl (2021). 214.
- “The power of firm fundamental information in explaining stock returns”. Shao, S., R. Stoumbos, and F. Zhang. 2021. Review of Accounting Studies”. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11142-020-09572-7
- “Dark trading and post earnings announcement drift” Thomas J., F. Zhang, and W. Zhu. 2021. Management Science, https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2020.3828g.
- “Multiproduct Intermediaries.” Jidong Zhou, Andrew Rhodes and Makoto Watanabe. Journal of Political Economy, 2021, 129(2), 421-464.
- “Mixed Bundling in Oligopoly Markets”. Jidong Zhou. Journal of Economic Theory, 2021, 194, 105257.
- CESifo Distinguished Affiliate Award
- Elected VP of the American Economic Association this year.
- Kate Cooney, PI, Equitable Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Landscape Analysis: Entrepreneurial Support Organizations in Greater New Haven. Funded as subaward from DataHaven for study proposal jointly proposed and funded by The Community Foundation Mission Investments Company, $26,025 April 2021-July 2021.
- 2021 Administrative Science Quarterly Dissertation Award, Runner Up, for the paper “Rapid Relationality: How Peripheral Experts Build a Foundation for Influence with Line Managers.” https://doi.org/10.1177/00018392211031710
- Winner of the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Research Award from NYU Wagner for the paper “The Voice Cultivation Process: How Team Members Can Help Upward Voice Live on to Implementation.” https://doi.org/10.1177/0001839220962795
- 2021 Academy of Management Best Symposium Award from the Managerial and Organizational Cognition (MOC) Division
- Accepted into the Yale/Op-Ed Project Public Voices Fellowship
- Equitable Growth 2021 Grant Award
- Award: Winner of the “Best Paper Based on a Dissertation” Award
Organization: Academy of Management (AOM), Gender and Diversity in Organizations (GDO) Division
Paper: “Detrimental effects of the ‘business case for diversity’ for underrepresented groups’ belonging”
- Award: Finalist (Top 3) of the Annual Dissertation Award
Organization: Society of Experimental Social Psychology (SESP)
- Award: Finalist (Top 3) of the Best Dissertation Award
Organization: Society for Business Ethics (SBE)
- 2021 AQR Insight Award (Distinguished Paper)
- Outstanding Paper Award, Midwest Finance Association
- Outstanding Discussion Award at the 2021 AAA Financial Accounting and Reporting Midyear Meeting: https://aaahq.org/FARS/Awards/Outstanding-Discussion
- Jacobs Levy Center Research Outstanding Paper award for “Sea Level Rise Exposure and Municipal Bond Yields".
- Became the President of the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs (APSIA). Essentially a collection of the deans of international affairs schools from around the world.
- GARP Best Paper in Risk Management Award, MFA for paper “Private Equity and Financial Stability: Evidence from Failed Bank Resolution in the Crisis”
- Plenary speaker, Marketplace Innovation Workshop
- Finalist, INFORMS Auctions and Market Design's Rothkopf Junior Researcher Paper Prize for the paper “Designing Approximately Optimal Search on Matching Platforms.'' (Winner: TBA)
- Finalist, MSOM Best Student Paper Prize, 2021 (Winner: TBA)
- Finalist, INFORMS Auctions and Market Design's Rothkopf Junior Researcher Paper Prize for the paper, 2021 ``Fair Dynamic Rationing'' (Winner: TBA)
- Finalist, INFORMS Service Science Best Student Paper Award, 2021
- Winner, Donald Lehmann Award for Best Dissertation-Based Paperin Journal of Marketing Research, 2021 for “Managing Customer Relationships Through a Salesforce” (with Minkyung Kim, Kosuke Uetake and Rodrigo Canales), Journal of Marketing Research, October 2019.
- Finalist, ISMS Long Term Impact Award,Marketing Science, 2021 for "Do Bonuses Enhance Sales Productivity? A Dynamic Structural Analysis of Bonus Based Compensation Plans" (with Doug Chung and Thomas Steenburgh), Marketing Science, April 2014.
- NET Summer 2021 Research Grant
- The European Financial Association 2021 Best Conference Paper Prize: “Open Banking: Credit Market Competition When Borrowers Own the Data,” (with Zhiguo He and Jing Huang), 2021.
Media Inquiries: Emily Gordon, Associate Director, Media Relations and Faculty Research