Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

General questions about the Standardized Tests

I would like to inquire about an application or standardized test fee waiver. Can you grant it to me?

The School of Management cannot grant you a fee waiver. If you want to inquire about obtaining one you will need to contact the Graduate School directly. Visit this Graduate School of Arts & Sciences page for their contact information, fee waiver policies and details regarding the application process.”

For the required examinations administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), what code should I use for the School of Management’s Ph.D. program?

The ETS code for the School of Management’s Ph.D. program is 3987. You must use this code when applying for admission to the Ph.D. program.

GMAT and GRE questions

Should I take the GMAT or the GRE test?

The Doctoral Program will accept a test score report from either the GRE or the GMAT. Preference to one exam is not given over the other. Scores are valid for only five years.

Can I obtain a waiver for the GRE or GMAT?

No. Applications must include a GRE or GMAT score to be considered complete.

What is the typical GMAT or GRE score for accepted applicants?

The test scores are typically in the high 90th percentiles. However, if there is other evidence of superior potential for success in the Ph.D. program, lower test scores may suffice. Admitted students typically have the following scores:

Verbal: 90th percentile or greater
Quantitative: 95th to the 99th percentile

Is there a minimum score for the GMAT or GRE test?

There is no minimum score requirement, although competitive applicants have scores in the high 90th percentile.

TOEFL and IELTS questions

Is the TOEFL test required?

The TOEFL is required of all applicants whose native language is not English. This requirement is waived only for applicants who will have received a baccalaureate degree, or its foreign equivalent, prior to matriculation at Yale, from a university or college where English is the primary language of instruction.

I am not a native English speaker and my undergraduate degree is from an institution that does not teach primarily in English. Are there any (PhD, life, work, etc.) English speaking circumstances wherein I can waive the TOEFL?

No. Unless you are a native English speaker or have an undergraduate degree from an institution that teaches primarily in English you must submit a TOEFL (or IELTS) score with your application. Neither graduate degrees nor time spent in English speaking countries can be used to waive the TOEFL requirement.

What is the typical TOEFL score for accepted students?

Admitted students typically have a score of 101 or more for the TOEFL iBT.

Transcript and GPA questions

What is the average GPA for accepted applicants?

Average undergraduate GPA: 3.6

What should I do if my transcript(s) and/or letter(s) of recommendation are not in English?

Materials that are not in English must be transcribed by an official and notarized transcription agency.

Application questions

What is the application deadline?

December 15.

Who should write my letters of recommendation?

It is suggested that three letters be written by academics-- individuals who are in a position to judge your research potential.

Is an interview necessary for admission?


Do I need to submit research papers or writing samples?

They are not required. However, papers that you have written and which have been published will be considered in support of your application.

Applicants interested in the Organizations & Management program should include at least one writing sample in their application materials.

Am I allowed to apply to more than one area of specialization?

No. You can apply to only one area of specialization.

Can I reapply if I have been denied admission?

Yes, but a completely new application must be submitted, including transcripts and letters of recommendation. Standardized test scores, if previously submitted, do not have to be released to us again.

What is the re-application process?

To re-apply you must complete and submit a new application, including letters of recommendation and transcripts along with the required application Fee. Standardized test scores, if previously submitted, do not have to be submitted again.

Can I check my application status over the phone or via email?

No, for purposes of confidentiality, we will not give information about your application status via telephone or e-mail. Applicants must check their status by logging into their application using their Applicant ID number or PIN.

How many students are admitted annually to each specialization of the program?

The respective specializations do not have individual quotas. We typically enroll 2 or 3 in each area per year. However, the actual number varies with the number of students in residence.

How many applications do you receive each year and how many applicants are usually admitted to the program?

Last year we received 300 applications and approximately 5% of the applicants received an offer of admission.

When will I know whether I have been accepted to the program?

In most cases, official notification that a decision has been made is delivered by e-mail. For security, such e-mail does not contain the decision itself however. Decision information will be posted in the online application. Decisions are made and communicated during the months of February and March. Official decision notification is made by the Graduate School and not individual departments or programs. Only letters or e-mail sent directly from the Graduate School may be considered official notifications of admission and financial aid. The Office of Graduate Admissions cannot give decision results over the telephone.

Questions about the program after admission

What is the nature of the available financial aid?

All students admitted to the program are given full financial aid for five years as long as they continue to satisfy the program's academic requirements. The aid consists of a tuition waiver and a stipend that is comparable to stipends offered by other leading Schools of Management.

Can I work while I’m in the program?

No. Yale’s Doctoral Program is a full-time, in-residence program. Part-time student status is not permitted. Nor do we offer any Distance Learning programs.

Can I complete the program in four years?

The program is designed to be completed in four years, though students are increasingly taking five years to complete the program.

If I already have an advanced degree, can I waive some of the required courses?

Generally, no. However, some limited exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis. Requests for course waivers should be submitted to the Director of Graduate Studies.

Can I obtain a Ph.D. remotely? Can I take the courses online?

The PhD program is a full time program and you are expected to be in residence while enrolled. There is no remote option for the PhD program.