Compete Strategically and Win Globally
This program is probably the best single thing I have done for my career development. The quality of the faculty, courses, and, most of all, peers just blew me away. The experience was at the same time humbling and empowering.
About the Program
YGELP Post-Program Benefits
Upon completing the program, YGELP participants receive Yale International Affiliate status, which gives access to our vast global alumni network and an array of resources that facilitate lifelong learning, growth, and success.
- Membership in the Yale Alumni Association, a network of 150,000 Yale alumni around the world
- Membership in the Yale School of Management Alumni Association
- Inclusion in the Yale alumni directory and the SOM alumni directory
- A lifelong email forwarding address: [yourname]@aya.yale.edu
- Access to the Yale Career Network
- Access to the Yale SOM Job Board
- Invitation to CELI reunions and SOM executive education reunions
- Invitation to local SOM chapter events
- Access to selected Yale SOM career services
- Increasing access to Global Network for Advanced Management alumni events around the world
- 25% discount on all Yale SOM executive education open enrollment programs
- Free participation in faculty webinars available to SOM alumni
- Invitation to participate in the SOM Alumni Association student mentoring program
- Free access to thousands of journals through JSTOR and HeinOnline
- Invitation to contribute to the YGELP blog
Who Should Attend
The program will bring together a group of proven business leaders who hold C-level positions or positions within one level of the CEO—someone identified within the leadership pipeline as the next in line. They should be an integral part of the organization’s decision-making team.
We welcome applications from participants with:
- Significant experience and demonstrated career progression and success across levels, including:
- Executive Committee members
- Heads of major business units
- Heads of function for the entire organization
- Senior executive members of core advisory or core operating groups
- A minimum of 20+ years of work experience including significant time in senior management roles.
- A strong drive, ambition and belief that being the best within the organization is not enough, they have to be one of the few in the industry, leading and shaping it for the future.
The YGELP takes place over 10 months and the program is divided into three intensive classroom modules at Yale SOM campus to engage and inspire you on all aspects of global executive leadership. In between these three on-campus modules, we have designed immersive off-campus learning and engagement opportunities with our faculty via monthly video conferencing-based meetings. You will get new insights from faculty through discussion on the latest research or a case study, share insights and reflections on how you are applying your learnings from the last on-campus module at Yale SOM, and get guidance from the Yale network. Your learning journey continues seamlessly over the entire 10 month period, helping you transform the leadership perspectives and accelerating your professional and personal growth.
- Organizational strategy
- Business and product portfolios
- Marketing and sales driven growth
- Competitive advantage through operations
- M&A driven growth
- Restructuring and turnaround situations
- Managing uncertainty
- Innovation driven growth
- Positive strategic leadership orientation
- Authentic leadership development
- Building a support network
- Finding and benefiting from mentors
- Leadership coaching for blind spots
- Developing a personal growth roadmap
- Leadership styles and motivation
- Leadership communications
- Leadership in a connected world
- Crisis management
- Change management
- Leadership, ethics and corporate accountability
- Mentoring and coaching other leaders
- Developing ownership and building strong teams
- Developing a leadership pipeline
- Managing boards
- Driving shareholder value and investor relations
- Human resources and talent management
Strategic Financial Leadership
- Measuring, analyzing, and driving corporate performance
- Linking strategy to finance and the new role of a CFO
- Master the essentials of corporate financial management
- Lead in the global economy—including government and international policy, state’s economic performance, national income and global business environment.
YGELP Participants Share Their Insights
Senior Associate Dean for Leadership Studies; Lester Crown Professor in the Practice of Management; Founder and CEO of the Chief Executive Leadership Institute
Areas of Expertise: CEOs, Corporate Governance, Ethics, Leadership, Workplace Issues
Read the full bio
Jeffrey Sonnenfeld served as full tenured professor at Emory's Goizueta Business School for a decade and a professor at the Harvard Business School for a decade, and is currently the senior associate dean of leadership programs as well as the Lester Crown Professor in the Practice of Management for the Yale School of Management, as well as founder and president of the Chief Executive Leadership Institute, a nonprofit educational and research institute focused on CEO leadership and corporate governance.
Professor Sonnenfeld's related research has been published in 100 scholarly articles which appeared in the leading academic journals in management such as Administrative Sciences Quarterly, the Academy of Management Journal, the Academy of Management Review, the Journal of Organizational Behavior, Social Forces, Human Relations, and Human Resource Management. He has also authored eight books, including The Hero's Farewell, an award-winning study of CEO succession, and another best seller, Firing Back, a study on leadership resilience in the face of adversity.
"Excellent and well-rounded program, with lecturers with deep subject matter knowledge. Highly recommend it to global leaders who want to make a difference." – Dung Tran
Dear All, If I’d be able to turn back the hands of time and ask myself a question, whether I’d make the same decision to join Yale Global Executive Leadership Program again, there will be absolutely no doubts yes-answer. Terrific professors, amazing group of talented classmates, inspiring coaching sessions, superb content, and useful tools incorporated into my management toolbox - just a tip of the iceberg of highlights. I'm exceedingly grateful to fantastic Yale SOM Team for professional approach and storing support! Special compliment to Professor Sonnenfeld for his unending enthusiasm, incredible charisma, great knowledge, and exciting both American & global contexts shared with us. I've to admit, that Yale GELP has tremendous impact on myself and will definitely bring benefits to success of my Organization. Learning is mother of all competencies of a leader. I’d highly recommend Yale SOM as the best place to get important knowledge, skills, and attitudes, required for the leaders in the fast-changing globalized world. Kind regards, – Daniil Klyuchnikov
I came to Yale in transition after a company reorganization. As a high-drive, high-functioning, high-level executive leader for 20 years, I felt like my purpose was in question. And I didn't have a tribe. Fast forward seven months, post-program: I'm a successful consultant; a social venture founder; and most importantly, member of a worldwide 'tribe' of executives, faculty & administration who helped challenge me & say, "So what? It happened. Now what? Get out there. Raise the bar and change the world." You'll see that across the experience, & it is invaluable. There are plenty of executive education programs out there - choose Yale if you want a lifetime of connections, business opportunities & being a Yalie for life! – Demi Knight
Yale’s Global Executive Leadership Program is ideal for transitioning senior military leaders looking to continue achievement in the private sector. The course content and structure (along with the your class cohort) will evolve your thinking as a leader. – Lonnie G
I came to the Yale Global Executive Leadership Program with high expectations based on what I knew about the program and my interactions with program staff prior to our arrival on campus. They exceeded all my expectations. Venue, instructors, topics, and classmates are all world class. The quality of instruction is matched by the amazing opportunity to make life-long friendships with peers around the world. Truly a great program. – Rod Jimenez
Yale Global Executive Leadership Program (GELP) has helped connect with and build a stronger network of friends, who are extremely accomplished and driven, who are part of the program, which is invaluable. The program resets our thinking process to gain a broader perspective of the Global business environment and learn the nuances of leadership practices.
Yale School of Management is proud to offer funding support for veterans interested in this program. For more information about financial aid options and eligibility please visit the Executive Education Veterans Benefits page.