The Career Development Office (CDO) provides a professional development curriculum that starts with a series of self-assessments to help you understand your own strengths and weaknesses, followed by presentations from second-year students and alumni that introduce you to industries and companies and help you start thinking about where you'll fit best. Over the course of your first semester, you'll take part in regular workshops on aspects of the professional development process, including career search strategies, résumé and cover letter writing, networking, interviewing, and negotiation.
You'll sit down with experienced CDO staff members for individual advising sessions, to talk through options, tweak a cover letter, conduct mock interviews, or just touch base and make sure you're on track.
Yale SOM partners with many leading firms in consulting, investment banking, consumer products, and other industries. Each fall, representatives of these firms, many of them Yale SOM alumni with a special interest in recruiting current students, visit the Yale SOM campus for corporate presentations, giving you the opportunity to learn about their internship programs and culture. Starting in January, they return for internship interviews.
CDO Curriculum Highlights
- Career Immersion: a one-day session with industry professionals designed to help you explore MBA career paths.
- Writing an Effective Résumé
- Internship Experiences: panels of second-year students share insights
- Crafting and Telling Your Story
- Informational Interviews from the Front Lines
- Words that Influence: Cover Letters that Get Results
- Navigating the Behavioral Interview
- Behavioral Mock Interviews: mock interviews with two Wall Street veterans