2010-2011 Application Deadlines and Essay Questions
We announced the upcoming season's application deadlines and essay topics in last month's edition of our online admissions newsletter. For those of you who want to stay up-to-date on what's happening at SOM, subscribing to the admissions newsletter is a great place to start. If, however, you did not receive the newsletter, below are the 2010-2011 Yale SOM application deadlines and essay questions. We plan to take the application live next month and will be posting our event schedule shortly, so please keep an eye out for those updates as well.
Application Deadlines Round 1
Application Deadline: October 7, 2010 Decision Notification: December 16, 2010
Application Deadline: January 6, 2011 Decision Notification: March 25, 2011
Application Deadline: March 17, 2011 Decision Notification: May 12, 2011 For those candidates applying to SOM through the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, whose mission is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership, the deadlines for that application are November 15, 2010 (Round 1) and January 5, 2011 (Round 2). For both of these Consortium rounds, the SOM decision notification date will be February 25, 2011.
Essay Questions Short Answers
Please answer each of the four questions below with a short paragraph of no more than 150 words. This is an opportunity to distill your core ideas, values, goals and motivations into a set of snapshots that help tell us who you are, where you are headed, and why. (150 words maximum per question)
- What are your professional goals immediately after you receive your MBA?
- What are your long-term career aspirations?
- Why are you choosing to pursue an MBA and why now? (If you plan to use your MBA experience to make a significant change in the field or nature of your career, please tell us what you have done to prepare for this transition.)
- What attracts you specifically to the Yale School of Management’s MBA program?
Choose two (2) of the following topics and answer them in essay form. Please indicate the topic numbers at the beginning of your essays. (500 words maximum per essay)
- What achievement are you most proud of and why?
- What is the most difficult feedback you have received from another person or the most significant weakness you have perceived in yourself? What steps have you taken to address it and how will business school contribute to this process?
- Describe an accomplishment that exhibits your leadership style. The description should include evidence of your leadership skills, the actions you took, and the impact you had on your organization.
- An effective leader for business and society is one who is able to hear, understand and communicate with people from all segments of society. In order to educate such leaders, Yale SOM is committed to promoting diversity and creating a community that cultivates a wealth of perspectives. In this spirit, describe an instance when, as part of a team, you played a role in bringing together individuals with different values or viewpoints to achieve a common goal.
- For Reapplicants (answer this topic plus one (1) of the other topics): What steps have you taken to improve your candidacy since your last application? Additional Information (Optional) If any aspect of your candidacy needs further explanation, please provide any additional information that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (250 words maximum)
Best of luck in the upcoming application season! Bruce