Yale SOM Exchange is the Yale School of Management’s series of online conversations. This series provides alumni and the entire Yale SOM community with opportunities to keep learning about faculty research, current events, and career strategies. Below is a list and recordings of all past events. Please visit the alumni events page to view all upcoming webinars in this series.
All Exchange events are sponsored by the Offices of Alumni Relations, Career Development, and Communications. Questions/comments/or ideas about the series should be sent to email@example.com.
Many Yale SOM alumni build careers that span the public, profit, and nonprofit sectors. Join us for a conversation on career pivots moderated by Rebecca Stekloff ’98, Yale SOM’s director of employee partnerships, which will leverage the experiences of alums who have successfully executed their own career pivots. Our panel of alumni includes:
- Brian Roach ‘93, who pivoted from a career in finance to medicine. He worked as a registered nurse at the emergency department at Yale-New Haven Hospital while studying to be a family nurse practitioner at the Yale School of Nursing.
- Becca Gong Sharp '15, regional director, Europe, Mediterranean, and Asia, for the Peace Corps. Her career in the social impact space includes pivots from consulting to nonprofit work and then from nonprofit to government.
- Jill Govan Bauman '87, who served as CEO of Imagine LA, a nonprofit organization working to end the cycle of family poverty and homelessness for more than fifteen years—and has also founded a high-end women’s golf and resort apparel company and founded and sold a software and services organization, among other roles.
Join us for a conversation with Professor James Baron and a panel of alumni leaders in people analytics and human resources, Clifford Emmanuel '15, Tanmay Manohar '16, and Julia Rozovsky '12. They’ll discuss ethics and privacy in the use of new technologies, the role of analytics in diversity and inclusion, and other ways leaders can leverage data to build thriving teams.
A new book from Professor Paul Anastas and Urvashi Bhatnagar ’17 provides companies with a methodology for creating inherently sustainable products and processes and driving sustainable practices through corporate strategy. In this practical, solutions-focused conversation, they talk with Vincent Stanley of Patagonia and the Yale Center for Business and the Environment.
In the wake of the Supreme Court’s Dobbs decision, access to reproductive healthcare varies widely from state to state. How should businesses act to preserve that access for their employees, customers, and other stakeholders? We talk to alumni and faculty with expertise in human capital and reproductive health.
Even as they return to the stage, theater companies are facing a reckoning, contending with leery audiences and shaky finances while grappling with issues like racism and workplace culture. Join us for a conversation with alumni leading top companies around the country.
Other Past Events
To view past Careers webinars please click here.
- Making Finance Work for Women (May 2022) Watch Here [Featuring: Tony Shelden '84 and Mary Ellen Iskenderian '86]
- The Fate of the Dollar, 50 Years After Nixon Let It Float (July 2021) Watch Here [Featuring: Jeffrey Garten and Ranji Nagaswami '86]
- The SPAC: A Global Search Fund on Steroids (May 2021) Watch Here [Featuring: A.J. Wasserstein, Noah Aptekar '16, Eduardo Marini '06]
- Misinformation in the Time of COVID (March 2021) Watch Here [Featuring: Zoe Chance, Dr. Lisa Fizpatrick, Greg Gonsalves, Katy Milkman, and Saad Omer]
- Creating Value in a Changing World (January 2021) Watch Here [Featuring: Judy Samuelson ‘82]
- The Art World in the Age of COVID (October 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Will Goetzmann, Gail Harrity ‘82, and Noah Horowitz]
- Regenerative Finance: A Path to Economic Justice (June 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Teresa Chahine, Anna Blanding ‘09, Janice Shade ‘94, and Michael Shuman]
- Leading Through COVID (May 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Jim Baron, Graham Browne ‘15, Gail Harrity ‘82, Amanda Skinner ‘08, and Matt Strauss ‘08]
- No Exit: What’s the Future of Venture Capital (April 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Olav Sorenson, Dan Ciporin ‘86, and Anne Glover ‘78]
- Meet the Legal Cannabis Industry (March 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Temi Ashiru ‘20, Mauricio Agudelo ‘14, and Tahira Rehmatullah ‘14]
- How Digital Technology Can Empower Healthcare Consumers (October 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Greg Licholai, Sri Muthu ‘16, Robert Stavert ‘09, and Jen White ‘18]
- Systems Entrepreneurship for Social Change (September 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Teresa Chahine, Donald Gips ‘89, and Barbara Hammond ‘89]
- Launching Your Startup After Graduation (July 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Tristan Botelho, Rochelle Alley ‘06, John Bourne ‘10, and Denis Ring ‘84]
- Do I Even Want Power? (April 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Heidi Brooks]
- The Power and Joy of Connecting across Generations (February 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Marc Freedman ‘84]
- Can Personal Values Survive a Politically Extreme Era? (May 2018) Watch Here [Featuring: David Bach, Cristina Rodriguez, and Michael J. Warren]
- [Careers Webinar] The Power of Your Network! (May 2018) Watch Here [Featuring: Marissa King]
- How Does an Idea Become a Startup? (February 2018) Watch Here [Featuring: Jennifer McFadden ‘08 and Brad Hargreaves YC ‘08]
- A Conversation with Vivek H. Murthy ’03 MBA/MD, 19th Surgeon General of the United States (January 2018) Watch Here [Featuring: Vivek Murthy ‘03 MBA/MD and Marissa King]
- Can Technology Make Us Happy? (October 2017) Watch Here [Featuring: Amy Blankson ‘06]
- Will Big Data Change the World? (June 2017) Watch Here [Featuring: Nicholas Christakis, Meagen Eisenberg ’04, and Harlan Krumholz, MD]
- How Do Mayors Get Things Done? (June 2016) Watch Here [Featuring: Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, Richard Berry, Byron Brown, and Madeline Rogero]
- What Keeps the Poor from Adopting New Technology (March 2016) Watch Here [Featuring: Mushfiq Mobarak, Brian Lobue ‘08, Lindsey Stradley YC ‘03, and Andrew Youn YC ‘00]
- What’s Next for the Eurozone? (December 2015) Watch Here [Featuring: Andrew Metrick, Kyriacos Sabatakakis ‘86 YC, Mary Tanner, and Stavros Thomadakis ‘68 YC]
- How Do You Encourage Innovation? (October 2015) Watch Here [Featuring: Florian Ederer, Ashley Goldsmith, Robert Mulroy ‘91, and Phil Ventimiglia ‘96]