Yale SOM Exchange is the Yale School of Management’s series of online conversations. This series provides alumni and the entire Yale SOM community with opportunities to keep learning about faculty research, current events, and career strategies. Below is a list and recordings of all past events. Please visit the alumni events page to view all upcoming webinars in this series.
All Exchange events are sponsored by the Offices of Alumni Relations, Career Development, and Communications. Questions/comments/or ideas about the series should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hundreds of millions of women in developing countries are excluded from the financial system. Without access to banks, they have difficulty borrowing and saving, growing businesses, and even making purchases. Mary Ellen Iskenderian ’86, president and CEO of Women’s World Banking and the author of the new book There’s Nothing Micro About a Billion Women, joins Tony Sheldon ’84, executive director of Yale SOM’s Program on Social Enterprise, to discuss solutions and opportunities.
A discussion with Yale SOM Dean Emeritus Jeffrey Garten on his new book, Three Days at Camp David: How a Secret Meeting in 1971 Transformed the Global Economy. The book tells the story of how President Nixon and his team cloistered themselves over the weekend of August 13-15, 1971—50 years ago this August—and made the decision to sever the connection between the dollar and gold, and to announce it with no prior warning to a stunned world that Sunday night. This act became one of the most consequential economic decisions in the post-World War II era, leading to the end of the Bretton Woods system of fixed exchange rates, to fluctuating currencies backed only by government promises, to more financial instability, to more intense globalization, to a new kind of relationship between the U.S. and its allies—and even to a world that will be characterized by digital currencies.
A conversation about special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs) moderated by A.J. Wasserstein, the Eugene F. Williams, Jr. Lecturer in the Practice of Management. The discussion focused on the features of SPACs that make them a unique tool for financing growth businesses outside of the U.S.
Other Past Events
To view past Careers webinars please click here.
- Misinformation in the Time of COVID (March 2021) Watch Here [Featuring: Zoe Chance, Dr. Lisa Fizpatrick, Greg Gonsalves, Katy Milkman, and Saad Omer]
- Creating Value in a Changing World (January 2021) Watch Here [Featuring: Judy Samuelson ‘82]
- The Art World in the Age of COVID (October 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Will Goetzmann, Gail Harrity ‘82, and Noah Horowitz]
- Regenerative Finance: A Path to Economic Justice (June 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Teresa Chahine, Anna Blanding ‘09, Janice Shade ‘94, and Michael Shuman]
- Leading Through COVID (May 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Jim Baron, Graham Browne ‘15, Gail Harrity ‘82, Amanda Skinner ‘08, and Matt Strauss ‘08]
- No Exit: What’s the Future of Venture Capital (April 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Olav Sorenson, Dan Ciporin ‘86, and Anne Glover ‘78]
- Meet the Legal Cannabis Industry (March 2020) Watch Here [Featuring: Temi Ashiru ‘20, Mauricio Agudelo ‘14, and Tahira Rehmatullah ‘14]
- How Digital Technology Can Empower Healthcare Consumers (October 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Greg Licholai, Sri Muthu ‘16, Robert Stavert ‘09, and Jen White ‘18]
- Systems Entrepreneurship for Social Change (September 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Teresa Chahine, Donald Gips ‘89, and Barbara Hammond ‘89]
- Launching Your Startup After Graduation (July 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Tristan Botelho, Rochelle Alley ‘06, John Bourne ‘10, and Denis Ring ‘84]
- Do I Even Want Power? (April 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Heidi Brooks]
- The Power and Joy of Connecting across Generations (February 2019) Watch Here [Featuring: Marc Freedman ‘84]
- Can Personal Values Survive a Politically Extreme Era? (May 2018) Watch Here [Featuring: David Bach, Cristina Rodriguez, and Michael J. Warren]
- [Careers Webinar] The Power of Your Network! (May 2018) Watch Here [Featuring: Marissa King]
- How Does an Idea Become a Startup? (February 2018) Watch Here [Featuring: Jennifer McFadden ‘08 and Brad Hargreaves YC ‘08]
- A Conversation with Vivek H. Murthy ’03 MBA/MD, 19th Surgeon General of the United States (January 2018) Watch Here [Featuring: Vivek Murthy ‘03 MBA/MD and Marissa King]
- Can Technology Make Us Happy? (October 2017) Watch Here [Featuring: Amy Blankson ‘06]
- Will Big Data Change the World? (June 2017) Watch Here [Featuring: Nicholas Christakis, Meagen Eisenberg ’04, and Harlan Krumholz, MD]
- How Do Mayors Get Things Done? (June 2016) Watch Here [Featuring: Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, Richard Berry, Byron Brown, and Madeline Rogero]
- What Keeps the Poor from Adopting New Technology (March 2016) Watch Here [Featuring: Mushfiq Mobarak, Brian Lobue ‘08, Lindsey Stradley YC ‘03, and Andrew Youn YC ‘00]
- What’s Next for the Eurozone? (December 2015) Watch Here [Featuring: Andrew Metrick, Kyriacos Sabatakakis ‘86 YC, Mary Tanner, and Stavros Thomadakis ‘68 YC]
- How Do You Encourage Innovation? (October 2015) Watch Here [Featuring: Florian Ederer, Ashley Goldsmith, Robert Mulroy ‘91, and Phil Ventimiglia ‘96]