Registration close: April 14, 2020
Course starts with orientation: April 22, 2020
Enroll now »
Duration: 6 weeks (excluding orientation), online
Commitment: 6 – 8 hours per week
Program Fee: $2,800
Outcome: Master of the art of collaborative negotiation by turning your opponent into a partner
Download Brochure »
As technology and automation continue to transform the nature of work, interpersonal skills are becoming increasingly relevant as a way to add a competitive edge in business. The ability to successfully negotiate in a way that delivers value for all parties sets a collaborative tone for future conflict resolution and is an impactful way to stand out as a leader in your organization.
Collaborative negotiation places people at the heart of any agreement, deal, or mediation. This helps ensure that all parties involved feel that they have a sense of control and that the outcome is a win-win situation. It also fosters transparency and trust, separates the people from the problem, and encourages shared responsibility for the end result.
Program convener and Yale SOM lecturer Dr. Daylian Cain will help you develop your own unique negotiating style that can be applied in both professional and personal situations. Gain a theoretical understanding of what constitutes an effective interaction by exploring the common mistakes people make and discussing real-world case studies. The focal point of this program is developing practical negotiation skills through live sessions with fellow participants that will prepare you to be an effective leader in a world characterized by increasing complexity.
What to expect
• Learn how to create and maximize value for all parties through collaborative negotiation
• Find out how post-settlement settlements can achieve enhanced outcomes during the second round of negotiations
• Develop practicel negotiation skills as you explore negotiation strategies and common mistakes, work through real-world case studies, and take part in live scenarios
• Explore how question-asking techniques and negotiation tools can be used to add value to any bargaining or mediation scenario
• Establish your strongest negotiation style through self-analysis and craft a personalized preparation document to use in the future
Who should attend
• Business leaders and executives who want to have greater influence within their organization
• Aspiring business leaders looking to show their value and make an impact within their current role
• Business professionals and specialists such as lawyers, doctors, and consultants who need to negotiate contracts or maintain effective client relationships
• Individuals looking to improve their negotiation and strategic communication skills, and to understand how issues like disclosure and conflict of interest are resolved
• Anyone who negotiates agreements and contracts such as job offers, promotions, asset purchases, resource allocations, organization decisions, and mergers and acquisitions
• Orientation Module
• Module 1: The value of engaging in negotiation
• Module 2: Question-asking practices for effective negotiation
• Module 3: Understanding and expanding the pie
• Module 4: Securing a better deal for both parties
• Module 5: Creating value by turning an opponent into a partner
• Module 6: Developing your personalized negotiation strategy
Negotiation Strategies faculty
Dr Cain is an expert in human behavior and decision-making. He specializes in conflicts of interest and the perverse effects of disclosing them, as well as turning altruism on and off. A master of negotiation – renowned and awarded for his hands-on, storytelling reaching style – Cain’s research has been featured in various top academic and business journals, and discussed in the Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, Forbes, and the New York Times.
Registration Close: April 14, 2020
Program starts (orientation opens): April 22, 2020
Module 1 starts: April 29, 2020
This program is presented entirely online in collaboration with leaders in digital education, GetSmarter, a brand of 2U, Inc. Technology meets academic rigor in GetSmarter’s people-mediated model which enables lifelong learners across the globe to obtain industry-relevant skills that are certified by the world’s most reputable academic institutions. This interactive, supportive teaching model is designed for busy professionals and results in unprecedented certification rates for online courses.
Modules are released on a weekly basis, and can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.