Influence, impact, and deliver value to your organization through effective negotiation
This program was an opportunity to tune into a structured approach to negotiations, and, distinct from other related teachings in negotiations, an opportunity to focus on preparing for negotiation in a structured way to maximize value creation and sharing during the actual negotiation. This take on maximizing value in any negotiation was highly appreciated.
About the Program
What to Expect
- Learn how to create and maximize value for all parties through collaborative negotiation
- Find out how post-settlement settlements can achieve enhanced outcomes during the second round of negotiations
- Develop practical negotiation skills as you explore negotiation strategies and common mistakes, work through real-world case studies, and take part in live scenarios
- Explore how question-asking techniques and negotiation tools can be used to add value to any bargaining or mediation scenario
- Establish your strongest negotiation style through self-analysis and craft a personalized preparation document to use in the future
Who Should Attend
- Business leaders and executives who want to have greater influence within their organization
- Aspiring business leaders looking to show their value and make an impact within their current role
- Business professionals and specialists such as lawyers, doctors, and consultants who need to negotiate contracts or maintain effective client relationships
- Individuals looking to improve their negotiation and strategic communication skills, and to understand how issues like disclosure and conflict of interest are resolved
- Anyone who negotiates agreements and contracts such as job offers, promotions, asset purchases, resource allocations, organization decisions, and mergers and acquisitions
- Orientation Module
- Module 1: The value of engaging in negotiation
- Module 2: Question-asking practices for effective negotiation
- Module 3: Understanding and expanding the pie
- Module 4: Securing a better deal for both parties
- Module 5: Creating value by turning an opponent into a partner
- Module 6: Developing your personalized negotiation strategy
Senior Lecturer in Negotiations & Leadership
Areas of Expertise: Behavioral Economics, Conflicts of Interest, Corporate Governance, Ethics, Leadership, Negotiations, Organizational Behavior, Social Enterprise
Read the full bio
Daylian M. Cain, Ph.D., is a Senior Lecturer of Negotiations & Leadership at the Yale School of Management. Prior to joining Yale in 2007, Cain was the Russell Sage Fellow of Behavioral Economics at Harvard. Originally hailing from Nova Scotia, Cain is a former Canada science scholar. He has three master’s degrees and —from Carnegie Mellon— a Ph.D. in Business. He likes to say that he focuses on “why smart people do dumb things.”
Fun Facts: Cain has appeared as a special guest on National Geographic’s TV show Brain Games, and his poker avatar (“Raising Cain”) is one of the opponents you may face at AdvancedPokerTraining.com.
Registration closes: March 14, 2023
Program starts with orientation: March 22, 2023
There are no prerequisites for this program. Register to get started. Our online program collaborator, GetSmarter, will welcome you and guide you through the steps to secure your place in the program.
Program Fee Assistance
A program fee reduction of 15% is available for those from nonprofits, Yale graduates, small groups of 3+, and those who have previously participated in a Yale Executive Education program with Yale SOM, ExecOnline, or 2U/GetSmarter.
This program does not qualify for veteran financial aid or veterans benefits at this time.
This program is presented entirely online in collaboration with leaders in digital education, GetSmarter, a brand of 2U, Inc. Technology meets academic rigor in GetSmarter’s people-mediated model which enables lifelong learners across the globe to obtain industry-relevant skills that are certified by the world’s most reputable academic institutions. This interactive, supportive teaching model is designed for busy professionals and results in unprecedented certification rates for online courses.
View the Negotiation Strategies online program on the GetSmarter website.
Modules are released on a weekly basis, and can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.