Barry Nalebuff is Milton Steinbach Professor at Yale SOM where for thirty years he has taught negotiation, innovation, strategy, and game theory. He is the coauthor of six books and an online course. Thinking Strategically and The Art of Strategy are two crossover books on game theory with over 400,000 copies in print. Co-opetition looks beyond zero-sum games to emphasize the potential for cooperating while competing. Why Not? offers a framework for problem solving and ingenuity. Lifecycle Investing provides a new strategy for retirement investing. Mission in a Bottle tells the story of Honest Tea. His Negotiation course (available for free on Coursera) has 250,000 active learners and the second-highest net promoter score on the Coursera platform.
In 1998, Barry together with his former student Seth Goldman cofounded Honest Tea, a company that sells ready-to-drink iced tea that tastes like tea. One of Inc. Magazine’s fastest-growing companies, Honest Tea has now sold its second billionth bottle of tea. In 2011, the company was purchased by Coca-Cola. His second venture, Kombrewcha, is a slightly alcoholic version of kombucha. The company was acquired in 2016 by AB-Inbev. He is currently working with Quaker Oats to help create Maker Oats, an unusually thoughtful overnight oats product.
He works with many entrepreneurial firms. He serves on the board of Q Drinks (started by his former student Jordan Silbert), Calicraft Beer, and AGP Glass. Alongside startups, he has extensive experience consulting with over fifty multinational firms. He advised the NBA in their prior negotiations with the National Basketball Players Association and served on the board of Nationwide Insurance. A graduate of MIT, Rhodes Scholar, and Junior Fellow at Harvard’s Society of Fellows, Nalebuff earned his doctorate at Oxford University.
- PhD, Oxford University
- MPhil, Oxford University
- SB Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- SB Mathematics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Writing Award (for "Exclusionary Bundling" article), Jerry S. Cohen Memorial Fund, 2005
- Miegunyah Fellowship, University of Melbourne, 1998
- Sloan Fellowship, Sloan Fellowship, 1989-1991
- Bicentennial Preceptorship, Princeton University, 1989-1991
- Junior Fellow, Society of Fellows, Harvard University, 1982-1985
- Rhodes Scholar, Massachusetts and Nuffield College, 1980-1982
- Honest Tea (Chairman, Co-founder)
- Nationwide Mutual
- Journal of Conflict Resolution Associate Editor
- Journal of Law, Economics, & Organization Associate Editor