Professor Swersey's expertise is in quality management, operations management, and mathematical modeling. He has 30 years' experience consulting to firms in statistical process control and quality management and is the co-author of a book on experimental design with applications in marketing and service operations. His expertise in the printed circuit board (PCB) industry is the basis for his study of quality practices and results among Japanese and U.S. PCB firms. Professor Swersey has done research on siting vehicle emissions testing stations, and school bus scheduling, and has developed queuing models for the New York City Fire Department. In his current research he has devised a mathematical model for predicting the severity of prostate cancer based on biopsy results and prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels. Prior to coming to Yale, Professor Swersey was with the Rand Corporation where he directed fire and police studies in New York City.
- D. Eng. Sci., Columbia University, 1972
- MS, Columbia University, 1964
- BS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1961
- Award for Excellence in Core Curriculum Teaching, Yale School of Management Alumni Association, 2016
- Voted by students to give TED type talk representing SOM at Inspiring Yale, 2016
- World's 50 Best Business School Professors, Poets & Quants, October 2012
- Faculty Teaching Award, Executive MBA, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Yale School of Management Alumni Association, 1989, 2005
- Special Faculty Recognition Award as part of the School’s 25th anniversary ceremonies, School of Management Alumni Association, 2002
- Finalist, Franz Edelman Award Competition for Management Science Excellence, 1974, 1992
- Elm and Ivy Award for Town-Gown Relations, New Haven, CT, 1991
- Co-recipient of NATO Systems Science Prize, NATO, 1976
- American Express
- Xerox Corporation
- Uniroyal Chemical Company
- Circuit-Wise, Inc.
- U.S. Repeating Arms Corporation
- Howmedica, Inc.
- AM-Gold, Inc.
- Latex Foam Products
- INCO Engineered Products, Inc.
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
- Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation
- City of New York Fire and Police Departments