- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
- JD, Yale University, 1986
- BA, Yale University, 1981
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts & Sciences, 2006 - present
- Insincere Promises: The Law of Misrepresented Intent (with G. Klass, Yale University Press, 2005) Winner of the 2006 Scribes Book Award "for the best work of legal scholarship published during the previous year."
- Research in the Public Interest Award, Center for Public Representation, 1991
- Clerk to the Honorable James K. Logan, Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1986-87