STARS Requisition: 86660BR
University Job Title: Program Manager
Department Job Title: Director of Admissions for Inclusion and Diversity
The Director of Admissions for Inclusion and Diversity is responsible for working collaboratively across the MBA leadership team and with key partners across the school, the university, and externally to increase the diversity of the Yale School of Management student body and promote access to business education among historically under-represented populations. Reports to the Assistant Dean for Admissions.
- Develop and evolve comprehensive strategies to increase the outreach, recruitment, and matriculation of students especially those from backgrounds traditionally under-represented in business (under-represented students of color and female students). This includes the planning and execution of recruiting and yield events and activities, both in-person and virtual, aimed at under-represented populations.
- Steward the school’s network of relationships and partnerships with external organizations, agencies, and community partners. In particular, ensure the development and maintenance of strategic partnerships with key national affinity organizations which enhance the school’s efforts to recruit and retain students from historically under-represented populations, and to develop successful programming. Oversee the liaison with local chapters.
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic Serving Institutions (Tribal Colleges, and other similarly oriented educational institutions) to enhance the school’s efforts to recruit and retain students from historically under-represented populations, and to develop successful programming.
- Work with the Office of General Counsel and other key stakeholders to remain current on policies, laws, and regulations that relate to the use of demographic data in admissions; work with the Admissions leadership team and others to ensure that relevant legal, regulatory, and policy frameworks are incorporated into student recruitment, selection, and enrollment (including the awarding of scholarships).
- Work with MBA and Masters Programs Admissions and Communications teams to develop and implement effective communication strategies, web and interactive media, and marketing and promotional collateral materials that can be used for recruiting and community building. Ensure key messages with respect to diversity initiatives are appropriately positioned and integrated, and that the specific needs of diverse audiences are considered and met.
- Participate in standard admissions activities such as admissions interviews (as needed), on-campus information sessions, open houses, admissions travel, and yield events.
- Work cooperatively with MBA and Masters Programs department leaders to follow-up with prospective and newly admitted students from under-represented groups. This includes sending emails, making phone calls, and scheduling on-campus meetings and student visits to ensure a personalized experience.
- Evaluate applications for admission and participate in committee selection processes.
- Develop and administer pre-MBA program to promote access to business education and assist the matriculation of students from non-traditional and under-represented populations. Work collaboratively with other University units and community organizations as appropriate.
- Maintain key admissions diversity statistics to enable effective and efficient monitoring within an application season, analysis across application seasons, and reporting to key internal constituents and external stakeholders on an ongoing basis. Benchmark the outcomes of diversity initiatives against data from other nationally ranked programs. Develop key metrics that capture the value and performance of this area, track and report the measures and use data to drive continuous improvement in unit activities.
- Manage the fiscal resources allocated to diversity initiatives. Prepare annual strategic budget proposal and manage area expenditures relative to the approved financial allocation.
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships with key staff in other program areas, provide appropriate levels of support to student programs, and participate as an active partner in their efforts to provide service to a diverse student body.
- Supervise the daily activities of full-time and temporary staff as they relate to the specific coverage area.
- Design and implement innovative projects based on the needs of the admissions office.
- May be assigned to serve on key committees and to other projects or initiatives.
- May perform other duties assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree in a related field and four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Exceptional interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills (both written and oral).
- Ability to travel regularly and work evenings and weekends.
- Experience working with and/or serving diverse populations. Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
- Proven ability, or experience, in progressive responsibility in either education administration or related corporate roles with direct experience in one or more of: admissions, recruitment, or diversity programming.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.