Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 76170BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Student Life Specialist for Academic Affairs and Student Life
The Student Life Specialist provides high-level administrative support for Academic Affairs and Student Life (AASL) programs and services at Yale School of Management (Yale SOM), specifically regarding Student Life and Engagement. This position reports to the Assistant Director.
- Working with the Assistant Director of Student Life, assist in the support of student clubs at Yale SOM, scheduling meetings with Club Leaders, setting up of trainings, and weekly meetings with Student Government, provide support and guidance with student-led conferences and case competitions. Develop agendas for student group meetings and logistics for student group trainings.
- Coordinate logistics and onsite support in all student life events, e.g., Club Fair, club events, and Closing Bell activities.
- Support CampusGroups software management, including managing approval of club event requests, and registrations or ticket sales for all student events. Regularly maintain AASL page and Handbook, checking content is current and updating, as necessary.
- Provide administrative support for programs and services, assist with event planning for major school events such as Orientation, Commencement, and the Study Break program and other events, including some off-site.
- Manage calendar and meeting coordination between AASL and other departments or student groups. Assist with the advanced planning of recurring events under the department and student organizations, securing dates and key materials ahead of time.
- Serve as a point of contact for students and other visitors. Based on thorough knowledge of AASL functions, practices, and events, aid or direct to appropriate person for assistance. Triage incoming student needs: assess immediacy of need and find the appropriate resources, effectively and efficiently communicate policies/procedures with student body.
- Using the relevant university systems and other reporting tools, responsible for expense processing for special programs and support of general AASL functions. Work closely with Business Office on club financial transactions/inquiries. Prepare documents in accordance with university policies and procedures and work closely and efficiently with a wide range of outside vendors.
- Coordinate digital screen announcements and timely and relevant bulletin board announcements. Curate and circulate Club Leader Bulletins and other communications with various sections of the student community. Works with student clubs specifically in approving flyers, digital announcements, and digital screens and helping to disseminate as appropriate.
- Assist with regular correspondence, respond to inquiries, and collaborate in the preparation of communications to the student body specifically in the form of emails and presentations.
- Collect and review data to improve existing department functions or to support new activities. Complete special projects for AASL as needed.
- Work closely with all degree programs under SOM to provide support throughout the student experience, working collaboratively to meet student needs and foster community at Yale SOM. Encourage and foster integration between degree programs through programming and relationship building.
- Serve as a member of the AASL team, assisting where necessary in the completion of projects, tasks, and programs.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related work experience, three of them in the same job family at the next lower level and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate’s degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills including intermediate ability of Windows and Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Outlook Calendar, PowerPoint, or equivalent. Ability to learn new systems and software quickly.
- Well-organized with great preparedness and ability to think ahead and anticipate needs. Ability to take initiative.
- Analytical skills. Proven ability to complete financial transactions and process expense reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service orientation. Positive outward facing demeanor. Ability to represent the school well in working collegially with peers and colleagues within and outside the university. A team player that works well with other members of the staff.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Ability to edit written material for grammatical or contextual errors. Writing sample required at interview.
- Positive and can-do attitude that supports the mission of the school. Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and changing environment. Excellent attendance record.
- Ability to be discreet and discerning with sensitive information and documents.
Bachelor’s Degree. Working knowledge of Yale policies and procedures, experience with event support, experience processing financial transactions, experience with any of the following software platforms; CampusGroups, EMS Room Booking Systems, Four Winds Interactive. Digital marketing experience or graphic design skill, specifically in Canva.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.