Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 54727BR
University Job Title: Software Engineer
Department Job Title: Software Developer
Reporting to Yale School of Management (Yale SOM) Manager for Application Development, the Software Developer is a senior full stack developer of the Applications Development team, designs and develops modern web and enterprise applications. This position requires an emphasis on quality, reliability and standards, and maintains the highest possible degree of application integrity and services. This position requires a motivated, creative and energetic individual with a strong technical background, customer support experience, and project management skills.
- Collaborate with the development team, Communications department, and consultants on developing applications of all sizes to support the mission of the school. This will include creative ideation, collaboration and pursuing innovation with industry best practices and modern technology.
- Perform complex systems analysis and programming tasks requiring advanced techniques. Define system objectives and prepare systems design specifications to meet user requirements and satisfy interface demands.
- Provide routine daily maintenance, code review and updates of existing sites and applications of all sizes.
- Aid in developing programming system analysis and documentation standards.
- Provide high-level consultation and mentorship to other Yale SOM IT staff.
- Interact with faculty, students, and staff at all levels to provide consultation, guidance and implementation support.
- Interact with external contacts that may include University IT staff, vendors, consultants and product specialists.
- Participate in on-call duty to include providing off-hour emergency web support as necessary.
- Provide project leadership. Duties include requirements gathering, user story creation, project management, assessing risk and communicating status.
- Manage assigned project tasks to ensure timely and high quality outcomes. Provide regular status reports on assigned projects to inform the process of establishing institutional priorities for school-wide technology projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and two years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of current DevOps principles, continuous integration and continuous deployment. Agile development concepts.
- Strong knowledge of system and service automation using web services and web hooks. Strong knowledge of application monitoring and logging.
- Ability to use a native testing framework to write test cases. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Containers (Docker, Windows Containers or Linux Native Containers) and Container Platforms, such as OpenShift and Kubernetes. Strong Knowledge of REST APIs and JSON.
Knowledge of NoSQL solutions such as redis, memcached or equivalent. Knowledge of Jenkins, Ansible, and CircleCI. Existing experience with Jira and Confluence. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.