Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 74774BR
University Job Title: Financial Assistant 4
Department Job Title: Senior Financial Assistant
The Senior Financial Assistant provides a high-level of comprehensive financial and administrative support in the Yale School of Management’s (Yale SOM) Business Office. This position is under the general direction of the Business Operations Director, Associate Director, and daily supervision of the Assistant Director.
This position currently functions on a hybrid schedule for remote work and on-campus. Currently, 50/50 on campus/remote (approximately).
- Provide a high-level of customer service to numerous and diverse walk-in, telephone, and email customers in a fast-paced environment. Assist with problem solving. Determine when issues need to be escalated.
- Prepare expense reimbursements and assist with purchasing utilizing Workday (WD) Financials for 60+ student clubs.
- Prepare expense reimbursements for Enterprise Learning Credit (ELC).
- Assist with student club funds and provide business office process, accounting management/training to student club officers.
- Serve as advisor to Yale SOM departments assisting with purchasing and reimbursement requirements. Determine appropriate method of payment. Make recommendations for use of purchasing card where appropriate. Monitor and review activity for compliance, accuracy, and completeness. Conduct the necessary due diligence to follow up on outstanding items.
- Review financial requests in WD Financials for accuracy, documentation and compliance with university policies and procedures. Reconcile monthly credit card transactions.
- Manage the procurement of goods and services for various Yale SOM departments using appropriate university tools and processes. Manage standing orders and service contracts. Assist with the set-up of new vendors.
- Prepare expense reimbursements utilizing WD Financials.
- Prepare journal entries in WD Financials.
- Initiate and assist in the maintenance of Yale SOM’s Club chart of accounts.
- Work collaboratively with other front-line colleagues including managing the SOM mailbox and escalating related issues when appropriate. Perform intake/exit tasks assigned via JIRA ticketing system including access requests.
- Assist with process of monthly financial statement reconciliation.
- Maintain files for accounts in compliance with university policies and procedures.
- Create and maintain measures (or “metrics”) that will help to improve our business operations.
- Other office support duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated superior customer service skills: superior problem definition, problem solving, follow through, and follow up.
- Demonstrated highly developed computer skills including Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Proven skills in word processing, spreadsheet, accounting principles, and Internet navigation expertise.
- Strong attention to detail; ability to follow through on assignments independently and to work as a team member.
- Professional demeanor and ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a helpful, pleasant, and professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to concentrate and perform with constant and varied interruptions.
Bachelor’s degree. Demonstrated proficiency with online systems and computer applications listed in this description. Workday, Jira, and Expense Management System experience. Experience in bookkeeping. Knowledge of Yale's administrative policies and procedures.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.