Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 62277BR
University Job Title: Alumni Affairs Officer
Department Job Title: Senior Associate Director, Strategic Initiatives
Reporting to the Managing Director of Alumni Relations, the Senior Associate Director will work with Yale School of Management (Yale SOM) alumni in the EMBA, MAM, MMS, The Broad Center at Yale SOM, and certain Executive Education and other one-year and non-resident programs, to develop and implement a strategic plan for programming to develop, support and strengthen relationships among and between these groups and the school. The Senior Associate Director will be responsible for developing a program integration strategy for Yale SOM alumni from these programs and for developing innovative programming and communications designed to integrate alumni from these groups with each other and with the school. The Senior Associate Director will work with current students from all programs to educate them about alumni services and provide programming that will focus on integration of these future alumni with the broader alumni group. The Senior Associate Director will develop close working relationships with program staff of the relevant programs to understand the needs of students as they become alumni. The Senior Associate Director will be responsible for additional special projects as assigned.
- The Senior Associate Director will assess the needs and interests of alumni from Yale SOM’s one-year and non-resident programs and develop and implement strategic plans and programming designed to integrate these alumni with each other, with MBA alumni and with the school. The plans may include design and execution of specific programming, outreach, communications, resources and services tailored to the needs and interests of one-year and non-resident program alumni.
- The Senior Associate Director will engage in analysis of the communication and attendance patterns and needs alumni in one-year and non-resident programs and implement distinctive programming including tailored communications, online programming, and specifically curated resources and events for these alumni.
- The Senior Associate Director will develop strong working relationships and participate in regular meetings with Yale SOM colleagues from AASL, EMBA, Executive Education and The Broad Center at Yale SOM, working with them to maximize collaboration and partnership between those teams and the Alumni Relations team.
- Working collaboratively with the Managing Director of Alumni Relations, the Senior Associate Director will oversee engagement efforts and programming targeted to educating current students of all programs about alumni services and connecting them with alumni. This will include planning and operating the SOM Launch program, a series of informational in-person and digital programming designed to assist students as they transition to alumni, as well as acting as the liaison to student groups seeking connections with alumni. This will also require developing positive working relationships and regular meetings with student leaders.
- Working with the Managing Director of Alumni relations, the Senior Associate Director will work to develop a strategy to engage alumni from Global Network schools with Yale SOM alumni, leveraging Global Network schools’ alumni networks and working with counterparts at Global Network schools and Global Network leaders to develop and execute a plan for programming and engagement. This will include developing relationships and participating in regular meetings with the Global Program staff as well as Global Program student representatives and Global Network alumni relations counterparts.
- The Senior Associate Director will be responsible for additional special projects as assigned by SOM Development and Alumni Relations Senior Leadership.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree in a related field and five years of related work experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Superior interpersonal skills. Customer service excellence and excellent skills in working with a variety of alumni groups. Ability to represent the school well in working collegially with peers and colleagues within and outside the university.
- Strong ability to craft and articulate messages for various audiences. Superior demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced and goal-oriented environment and have experience with event management. Ability to handle crises as well as a wide range of short- and long-term management issues.
- Strong creative skills and ability to work well with alumni. Strong computer skills and analytical skills, including ability to work with advanced MS Office, complex databases and spreadsheets.
- Must be able to travel extensively within US and internationally on an as needed basis.
Five years of related work experience in alumni relations, and/or non-profit management, or an equivalent combination of experience and education, preferably internationally or domestically with a strong international component. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.