Detailed Job Listing:
job family: clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 57314BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Senior Admissions Specialist
Reporting to the Associate Director overseeing recruiting, provide high-level administrative support to accomplish the recruiting and admissions objectives of the Yale School of Management (SOM) MBA Admissions Office. Serve as a first point of contact for all prospective candidates, administer the campus visit and interview programs, and provide event planning and event management support for on-campus Admissions events and special visitors.
- Provide administrative support to Admissions Officers as assigned, including planning and executing on-campus events as well as the campus visit and interview program.
- Serve as point of contact for prospective candidates. Help ensure that Yale MBA Program candidates receive the best client experience in-person, via phone and email. Participate in the development of new systems and procedures as required by the launch of new initiatives.
- Serve as expert resource and source of information to applicants, students, staff, faculty, and alumni on admissions policies, procedures, and Yale SOM academic and extracurricular programs via heavy phone and email correspondence. Correspond directly with applicants to resolve application file issues for completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of submitted information. Troubleshoot applicant issues, creatively solve problems, and move candidates through the application process as efficiently as possible.
- Support the campus visit program, including scheduling visits, arranging class offerings, ordering catering and facilities, coordinating student volunteers, and providing tours when needed. Prepare comprehensive and targeted packets for each visitor.
- Provide support for approximately 1,000 applicant interviews including campus interviews, off-site interviews, and Silver Scholars. Correspond with students, staff, and faculty as necessary to schedule interviews and ensure completed interview report submission. Provide event planning and event management for on-campus interview days and off-site interviews.
- Prepare admissions reports by manipulating data using proprietary database.
- Other responsibilities include correspondence and coordination of arrangements for off-campus events worldwide. Attend events as required to co-host event and oversee on-site logistics. In conjunction with these duties, this position develops and maintains working relationships with a variety of individuals, corporations, or agencies outside Yale University.
- Participate in high-volume admissions office mailings, routine document filing, and other duties related to the processing of applications over the course of the admissions season.
- Provide insights and advice on process improvements, analytics, etc.
- General support for admissions officers as needed, including submitting Workday reports, ordering supplies for office and staff and other office tasks.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work with a variety of computer applications. Very strong detail orientation and analytical and data manipulation skills. Strong technical skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word (including merges), Excel in Windows environment, and Outlook Calendar.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and strong oral and written communication skills. Writing sample required. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately. Team player with ability to represent the Assistant Dean and Director of Admissions, Yale SOM, and the University (and outside the University) in a professional manner.
- Strong independent judgment and capacity to take initiative in a “multi-tasking” environment with minimal supervision. Ability to be proactive and responsive in a consistent and timely manner; set and maintain a standard of professionalism and accuracy in dealings with all customer groups.
- Ability to relate comfortably and knowledgeably with a wide range of individuals in high-level academic and/or professional positions. Absolute discretion with confidential information and materials.
- Able to prioritize pending issues and activities, take appropriate initiative without waiting for instructions, and to involve and mobilize other team members when a particular situation warrants is integral to this role.
Bachelor degree. Experience in an admissions office. Existing working relationships with individuals within Yale University, and knowledge of the Yale SOM MBA program. Experience with customer management systems and Yale’s electronic systems (Banner, Technolutions Slate, and Workday). Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.