Detailed Job Listing:
job family: Clerical and technical
STARS Requisition: 54306BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant, YCCI, Faculty Support
Under the supervision of faculty members, Yale Center of Customer Insights (YCCI) Directors, and Assistant Director of Faculty Support, serve as a member of the YCCI. Provide high-level administrative services for the YCCI and assist faculty members in all areas including: teaching and research, editing, and support for financial transactions.
In this role we are looking for someone who is an energetic, highly responsive team player who takes initiative and works comfortably in a global, fast-paced environment.
The three main areas of responsibility in this job include: (1) logistical, operational and other high-level administrative support for the Center’s Discovery Projects, (2) general administrative support for YCCI staff, and (3) faculty support.
Discovery Projects - Serve as the administrative operations and logistics lead for YCCI Discovery Projects, a practicum course where teams of five graduate students are paired with a leading corporation to work on a marketing project. Responsibilities include:
- Coordinating student, faculty and external corporate partners’ schedules, including complex scheduling on a timeline.
- Greeting external corporate partners with a high level of professionalism and courtesy.
- Proactively anticipating logistical needs, such as catering orders, AV/IT equipment needs for videoconferencing and presentations, and room bookings.
- Material and agenda preparations, including developing and proof-reading materials.
- “Managing up” to ensure that administrative needs are addressed on time- this may include reminding students and/or YCCI leadership of approaching administrative needs and deadlines based on a pre-drafted calendar that you and the Executive Director of Discovery Projects will create at the beginning of the semester.
- Responsible for planning faculty, staff and/or student site visits to corporate affiliate partners, including travel arrangements, itineraries, and accommodations. Prepare required forms and reimbursements.
- Providing administrative support during the Discovery Project application process (updating application materials online, printing applications, tracking applicants in Excel, etc.)
- Proactively organize and archive project materials and deliverables.
General Administrative Support & Faculty Support
- Oversee and coordinate administrative programs and office activities for the YCCI. Establish and implement procedures and systems; serve as principal source of information on policies, procedures, and office activities.
- Maintain complex calendar for the YCCI Affiliated Programs, faculty, and administrative team. Schedule and coordinate meetings and appointments. Coordinate and synchronize electronic calendars.
- Format, keyboard, edit and proofread a variety of material for grammar and content. Write and/or draft correspondence and material for YCCI board meetings and external clients. Prepare non-traditional syllabus.
- Scan course work and other documents. Provide assistance with classroom exercises and set-up. Download and upload course related information for the web for faculty course work and research. Organize and prepare course packets. Secure/purchase teaching material and obtain copyright permissions from publishers. Post course material to web-based learning management system.
- Search for information online and in various libraries (ORBIS, Blue Book Citation, download articles).
- Gather, compile, organize, and manipulate data to create reports or summaries. May design and set up spreadsheets and graphics. Create slides or make changes to enhance PowerPoint presentations with graphics.
- Use the University’s electronic systems for expense management, travel booking and placing orders with vendors. Collect receipts for reimbursement of travel (domestic and international) and monitor reimbursement to Yale. Work closely with department’s business office in execution of all financial transactions. Prepare all documents in accordance with University policies and procedures.
- Assist faculty members with various activities which can include large mail merges for letters of recommendation, recruitment, and other correspondence, scheduling and other matters, as requested.
- May work on faculty websites as directed by faculty member.
- Identify problems with workflow, equipment, and environment and make suggestions for improving the workplace.
- Greet visitors; answer and screen telephone calls. Organize and maintain filing systems.
- Order supplies, equipment, stationery, and business cards.
- Prepare/drop off outgoing mail and packages at mailroom and pick up, sort, and distribute incoming mail.
- Serve as member of faculty support department and provide back up for other faculty support staff.
- Perform additional duties incidental to office activities as necessary to maintain highest level of customer service.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related work experience; four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate’s degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills including well developed knowledge of Windows and Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Outlook, Outlook Calendar, and PowerPoint or equivalent. Ability to perform library and internet research.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including a high level of responsiveness.
- Excellent proofreading, editing, and writing skills for drafting material. Writing sample required at interview. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear, pleasant, grammatically correct and professional manner. Ability to represent the School professionally at events.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy with a demonstrated ability to concentrate and perform with constant and varied interruptions. Ability to prioritize to meet deadlines and follow schedules; multi-task effectively.
- Detail oriented and ability to follow-through with conflicting demands and deadlines, in an organized manner. Excellent attendance record. Ability to function effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and accomplish work for several faculty members and to regularly solve problems, take initiative and anticipate actions needed. Ability to properly use independent judgment.
- Ability to work flexible hours with some overtime on a seasonal basis.
Bachelor degree. Experience with event support and travel arrangements. Web maintenance skills. Experience with learning management systems. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language. Interest in related subjects such as marketing, psychology or consumer behavior.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.