Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 84162BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant, Faculty Support
Provide high level administrative support to the Deputy Dean for Faculty and for the MMS Asset Management Program. Serve as principal source of information and provider of advanced level support to students, staff, and faculty on policies procedures, programs, and office activities. Reports to the Associate Director of Faculty Support.
- Serve as liaison with faculty and coordinate meetings and faculty events for the Deputy Dean including all related logistics.
- Manage MMS-AM program communications, including but not limited to composing original correspondence on behalf of faculty, updating multiple social media accounts, creating a recurring newsletter.
- Coordinate and organize all planning and logistical support for events and programs, including seminars, conferences, colloquiums, and guest lecturers. Schedule and coordinate meetings, talks, and visitors (both on and off campus), including specifics of site visits, itineraries, travel arrangements, publicity, catering, entertainment, and accommodations. Prepare required forms and reimbursements.
- Maintain complex calendars for faculty, scheduling across time zones.
- May perform complex editing, revising, and proofreading on materials including faculty research papers, abstracts, and letters. Confer with authors on content, form, and style.
- Supports coursework for faculty, may include complex core courses. Secure or purchase teaching materials. Obtain copyright permission. May scan course work. Upload materials to learning management system and publish. Assist with classroom exercises and set-up.
- Support assigned courses as session coordinator. Using Zoom (or other video conferencing communications) schedule class, create Zoom links for course meetings, virtually (or in-person) attend class and monitor or set up for session, support faculty with logistical issues, and communicate with students via Zoom chat (as needed and directed by faculty member), alert Media Services of any technical problems in the Zoom room, and moderate participation.
- Serve as a source of information to faculty, students, and staff on classroom AV technology.
- Search for information on-line and in various libraries. Submit research papers on-line.
- Gather, compile, organize and manipulate data to create reports or summaries. May design and set up spreadsheets and graphics. Create slides or make changes to enhance PowerPoint presentations with graphics.
- Use the University’s electronic systems for expense management, vendor set-up, travel booking and placing product and service orders with vendors. Collect receipts for reimbursement of travel (domestic and international) and monitor reimbursement to Yale. Work closely with department’s business office in execution of all financial transactions. Prepare all documents in accordance with university policies and procedures.
- Serve as point of contact for faculty recruiting process and assist new faculty with office set up and orientation process.
- Assist faculty members with various activities which can include large mail merges for letters of recommendation, recruitment and other correspondence, scheduling, and other matters, as requested.
- Update faculty websites.
- Identify problems with workflow, equipment and environment and make suggestions for improving the workplace. Manage ordering, stocking, and distribution of office and kitchen supplies, and incoming and outgoing mail and packages.
- Greet visitors, answer, and screen telephone calls. Organize and maintain filing systems.
- As assigned, provide coverage in all faculty support areas and other administrative departments, including the behavioral lab.
- Perform additional duties incidental to office activities as necessary to maintain highest level of support and service.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an associate degree; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills of Windows and Microsoft product, i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook (Calendar) and PowerPoint or equivalent. Internet navigation skills.
- Excellent proofreading, editing, and writing skills for drafting material. Writing sample required at interview. Cover letter strongly encouraged. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear, pleasant, grammatically correct, and professional manner. Ability to represent the school professionally at events; demonstrated excellence in customer service.
- Excellent attendance record. Ability to function effectively as part of a team to provide support to faculty and Yale SOM departments.
- Ability to organize an extremely large amount of information and variety of subject material.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and accomplish work for several faculty members and to regularly solve problems, take initiative and anticipate actions needed. Ability to properly use independent judgment.
Bachelor’s degree. Experience with event support, administrative support, learning management system, and expense management. Web maintenance skills. Ability to provide basic AV support. Experience with Yale policies and procedures.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.