Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 77692BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant for Faculty Affairs
Serve as an integral member of the Deputy Dean’s office support team. Provide high-level administrative support including meeting planning and coordination, expense management, office supply ordering, travel coordination, and other assorted administrative duties to the Deputy Dean for Faculty, the Deputy Dean for Strategy, and other members of the Deputy Dean’s office staff. Work closely with Deputy Dean’s office staff members on a number of activities related to faculty affairs, including recruiting, promotions, reappointments, leaves of absence, and retirements. The Senior Administrative Assistant must be able to handle confidential/sensitive information with the utmost discretion. Reports to the Deputy Dean’s Office Supervisor.
- Coordinate faculty meetings, ad hoc seminars, and training/orientation programs for the Deputy Dean’s Office, including making room reservations, scheduling meeting times, sending Outlook invitations, creating Zoom (or other video conferencing software) links, tracking acceptances and attendance, setting itineraries, arranging for catering, assisting with room setup and A/V operation, and making travel accommodations for guests, when appropriate.
- Format, prepare and distribute materials for faculty meetings, faculty training/orientation sessions, and other faculty affairs-related events. Write and send emails and faculty communications using a clear and professional tone. Proofread and edit a variety of materials for grammatical and factual accuracy.
- Use the University’s electronic systems for expense management and supply ordering. Work closely with SOM’s business office in execution of all financial transactions. Process expenses and order office supplies for members of the Deputy Dean’s office staff. Prepare all documents in accordance with university policies and procedures.
- Coordinate travel logistics for various visitors and guests, using the University’s travel booking system. Organize complex itineraries. Collect receipts for reimbursement of travel (domestic and international) and monitor reimbursement to Yale.
- Assist with various faculty-affairs related ad hoc projects and initiatives, as requested.
- Coordinate the use of faculty offices by visitors and part-time faculty. Track office utilization and manage the distribution and collection of office keys.
- Provide support for faculty recruitment, reappointments, and promotions. Use the University’s online system to post jobs and collect application materials or to create review packets and request letters of recommendation. Act as point of contact for search and promotion committees.
- Complete faculty appointment paperwork including new hires, promotions, reappointments, leaves of absence, and terminations. Assist incoming faculty with house hunting and relocation expense reimbursement, as needed.
- Coordinate faculty arrivals and departures to and from the University.
- Manage Postdoctoral, Postgraduate, Visiting Faculty, Visiting Fellow and Executive Fellow appointments, including communicating with the candidates and faculty sponsors, obtaining all necessary internal approvals, and processing applications and renewals.
- Assist eligible incoming faculty with visa sponsorship applications.
- Assist in the management of faculty records, including contracts, memos, appointment/payment forms, and materials for promotions/reviews.
- Maintain faculty-related content for the SOM website/portal, including faculty directory listings and faculty job openings.
- Serve as source of information to all staff and faculty on policies, procedures, and office activities related to faculty affairs.
- Perform additional duties incidental to office activities as necessary to maintain the highest level of customer service.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related work experience; four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills including well developed knowledge of Windows and Microsoft products: Word, Excel, and Outlook Calendar. Ability to perform Internet research.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy, with demonstrated ability to concentrate and perform with constant and varied interruptions.
- Ability to prioritize to meet deadlines and conflicting demands in an organized manner.
- Discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information.
- Ability to regularly solve problems, take initiative, and anticipate actions needed. Ability to properly use independent judgment.
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear, pleasant, grammatically correct, and professional manner. Writing sample required at interview. Ability to represent the School professionally.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Proven ability to function effectively as part of a team, to take direction, and to successfully execute requests with a minimal amount of oversight.
Working knowledge of Yale policies and procedures. Experience working directly with faculty and processing faculty appointments in Workday. Ability to flex schedule to provide coverage as needed.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.