Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 81594BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant for Career Development Office
Provides high-level administrative support and works closely with the Assistant Dean, Director of Career Education and Coaching, Associate Director of Operations, and other members of the Career Development Office in meeting the needs of students and employers.
- Serve as primary point of contact and general resource for students, faculty, staff, and employers.
- Manage SOM CDO email; using independent knowledge, judgment, and resourcefulness in responding to questions and liaise/refer on when necessary.
- Triage incoming student needs: assess immediacy of need and find the appropriate resource. Develop knowledge of CDO processes and resources in order to refer employers, visitors, and students accordingly to meet their needs.
- Provide support for office-wide and Career Education programs and services including reserving space, securing catering, managing audio visual/IT, tracking expenses, desktop publishing services, greeting participants, and other logistics as necessary.
- Provide administrative support for Assistant Dean and Director, Career Education and Coaching as needed; may include working in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel as well as Yale-wide systems.
- Work closely with the Associate Director of Operations, coordinate, and maintain informational resources and communications materials such as the CDO website, Career Management System, and communications channels.
- Provide project management support for a variety of internal processes and systems such as the CDO calendar and event registration and evaluation systems.
- Use the University’s electronic systems for expense management, travel and placing orders with vendors. Collect receipts for reimbursements. Work closely with the Associate Director of Operations on documentation for vendor renewals and the business office in execution of financial transactions. Prepare documents in accordance with university policies and procedures.
- Conduct data entry for the career management system.
- Provide general administrative support for CDO. Manage office space and general operations including kitchen area, printers, mail, facility/IT needs, manage ordering, inventory and organization of supplies and supply closet.
- Assist with recruiting related responsibilities, as needed.
- Perform additional duties as necessary to maintain the highest level of service in the CDO.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate degree; or little or no work experience and a bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work overtime or flex hours during peak periods (recruiting season) including mornings, evenings, and weekends. Ability to retrieve and carry materials throughout building or venues. Ability to travel by car, stand for periods of time, bend, stoop, and lift up to 30 lb.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, think creatively, and facilitate problem-solving required. Strong organizational skills. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment (with frequent interruptions) where multi-tasking is the norm.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple constituencies such as Yale SOM staff, students, and external constituencies such as Yale SOM alumni, vendors, or employers.
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Facility with learning new software and technologies.
- Superb verbal communication ability. Strong customer service orientation and professional demeanor. Willing to go extra miles for all CDO visitors. Ability to develop credibility quickly with employers and SOM community. Proven track record of establishing positive client relationships.
- Strong written communication. Exceptional attention to detail, proofreading and editing skills. Must be able to express self clearly and concisely in a grammatically correct and professional manner. Writing sample required at interview. Cover letter encouraged. Ability to represent the school professionally at events.
Business experience in hospitality, sales, marketing or recruiting. Experience in administrative support. Experience with Yale business processes and systems and knowledge of Yale policies and procedures.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.