Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 74641BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs and Student Life
Provide high-level administrative support for Academic Affairs and Student Life (AASL) programs and services at Yale School of Management (Yale SOM).
- Collect and record names of Teaching Assistants and ensure all courses and faculty are appropriately supported. Coordinate logistics for TA Training sessions. Ensure the database of active TAs is current including registration and training. Communicate with TAs regarding employment status and payroll logistics.
- Coordinate the process for accommodating students with disabilities, including scheduling separately administered exams, building accessibility issues, and classroom accommodations. Reschedule final exams, as necessary.
- Working with the Assistant Director and students, facilitate the process for excused absences. Request class recordings for absences due to religious holidays and special circumstances.
- Prepare for incoming students, including revisions to the portal pages, admitted students’ site, and ordering materials. Track the course modules, Title IX module, ID Photo, and student data form. Print course face cards.
- Manage expenses for the International Experience Teaching Assistants and review for validity and policy compliance. Create Purchase Orders and handle invoices for International Experience trips. Order and track tokens of appreciation to international hosts and coordinate with TAs for distribution.
- With all AASL team members, provide administrative support for the Global Studies Requirement courses. Schedule meetings and trainings, create visa log for current students, assist with timely communications. Update portal pages and post announcements on Canvas.
- Provide back-up support for front desk which includes being point of contact for students and other visitors with academic questions. Based on thorough knowledge of AASL functions, practices, and events, assist or direct to appropriate person for assistance. Triage incoming student needs, assess immediacy of need and find the appropriate resources.
- Arrange for Evans Hall building access for Yale SOM and non-Yale SOM students enrolled in Yale SOM classes.
- Primary contact for departmental Canvas sites; create and maintain AASL programs within Canvas.
- Serve as primary contact for the Professional Communications Center, reserve rooms, as necessary.
- Compile information for Academic Standards review. Coordinate logistics for the Academic Standards Committee and other academic support offerings.
- Compose correspondence, respond to inquiries, and collaborate in the preparation of communications to the student body.
- Serve as a member of the AASL team and work collaboratively to support student needs and foster community at SOM. As part of the AASL team, provide administrative support for student events, e.g., Orientation, Commencement, Study Break and other on campus and off-site events. Provide back-up for other AASL support positions.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related work experience, three of them in the same job family at the next lower level and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate’s degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills including intermediate knowledge of Windows and Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Access, Outlook Calendar, PowerPoint or equivalent.
- Analytical skills. Proven ability to complete financial transactions and process expense reports.
- Superior interpersonal skills, strong customer service orientation. Polished outward facing demeanor. Ability to represent the School well in working collegially with peers and colleagues within and outside the University.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Writing sample required. A team player that works well with other members of the staff.
- Positive and can-do attitude that supports the mission of the school. Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and changing environment. Excellent attendance record.
Bachelor’s degree. Global orientation.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.