Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 58270BR
University Job Title: Research Writer
Department Job Title: Project Editor
The Project Editor conducts research on management dilemmas in business and non-profit organizations. The Project Editor works with faculty and the Director of Case Research to use this research to create case studies for MBA courses at Yale and other graduate schools. Case studies are generally presented as either long-form narratives or multimedia websites. The Project Editor is expected to not only write narratives, but also format and otherwise produce the supporting materials in the case study. Project editors are expected to create between 6-10 case studies a year and to participate in the case inventory and distribution process.
- Collect and organize information from the literature relevant to the identified management dilemma.
- Manage contacts with organizations and individuals including the terms of an engagement and release of material.
- Arrange and conduct interviews with executives (some on-camera) to gain additional information about the dilemma.
- Work with faculty and the Director of Case Research to clarify the dilemma and sharpen the pedagogical value of the material.
- Write case study narrative translating business and economic information into coherent prose.
- Review drafts with informants, faculty and Director of Case Research and incorporate revisions into text.
- Prepare supporting materials for the case study into comprehensible tables and charts.
- Format the written material into PDFs according to department standards.
- Write all necessary narrative elements.
- Identify accessible and relevant online materials for links.
- Collect graphical material like photos and maps.
- Create slideshows, graphs and other materials.
- Work with multimedia producer to create video clips.
- Format all webpages on a site, arranging text, links, videos, photographs and other materials.
- Test websites and ensure a smoothly functioning finished product.
- In conjunction with the director and other team members, help manage the case inventory and facilitate distribution of case studies both inside and outside Yale. This duty includes transferring cases to a new template and updating old cases, creating abstracts and metadata for each case to ensure each is displayed correctly in several channels and maintaining contact with various clients including publishers and faculty.
- May perform other duties as assigned, including working with students or faculty to edit and/or complete pedagogical materials they initiated.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and three years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Solid analytical background and a demonstrated ability to write quickly and clearly. Writing sample required.
- Familiarity with computer software related to creating presentations.
- Some travel required.
- Superior interpersonal skills. A team player that works well with other members of the staff.
- A leader with a positive and can-do attitude that supports the mission of the school.
- Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Ability to represent the school well in working collegially with peers and colleagues within and outside the University.
Background in business or business writing. Global orientation, experience working across countries and regions and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.