Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 80584BR
University Job Title: IT Support Technician 1
Department Job Title: IT Support Technician
As a member of the School of Management (SOM) IT Client Services Team, provide technical computer assistance to SOM faculty, staff and students which includes problem recognition, research, isolation, resolution, and follow-up. Requires experience and understanding of computing systems and networking applications. Involves the use of help desk incident tracking system and system monitoring tools.
- Monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the Help Desk channels (walk-up, telephone based and email).
- Monitor service desk for tickets assigned to the IT queue and process per documented procedures.
- Provide tier 1 assistance to end-users related to computer and or networking problems, and services and procedures within SOM Community. Troubleshoot user problems with computer hardware, software, and networking. Analyze and resolve user problems, prepare documentation, and informational materials for non-technical users. Research and analyze software and network problems and recommend solutions or resolve independently.
- Ability to solve technical problems and only escalate problems of a complex nature.
- Work as part of an integrated SOM IT team and with other Yale personnel within a multi-vendor multi-platform environment. Share knowledge with SOM IT team. Assist in IT training programs for the user community.
- Responds to emergency calls and routine calls. Analyzes problems to determine if a technician site visit is required. Creates work order and follow-ups on technician visit to ensure resolution. Documents all reported problems.
- Provides technical expertise and consultation in researching, analyzing, and implementing hardware and software solutions of varying scope: from one user to all users.
- Act as project leader for assigned IT projects with minimal supervision. Provide project consultation and recommendations to IT management as well as end-user departments.
- Manage assigned project tasks to ensure timely and high-quality outcomes. Provide regular status reports on assigned projects to inform the process of establishing institutional priorities for school-wide technology projects.
- Participate in the planning and design of new services and procedures. Collaborate with members of the SOM Community on various projects, including system services and networking. Completes and documents technical projects such as the testing of hardware and software products.
- Interact with faculty, staff, and students; and interdepartmental personnel at all levels to provide support and education. Interact with external contacts to purchase equipment, resolve problems, and obtain assistance and to compare institutional operations.
- Assist in IT purchasing and procurement needs for the SOM community. Interact with external and internal vendors. Assists users in maintaining their desktop computing environment. Recommends supported software applications operating systems to end-users. Assists in the maintenance of a knowledge database. Maintains equipment inventories.
- Work with IT management to develop standards and policies. Review all processes and obtain feedback. Act on feedback to improve processes.
- Provide support for instructional technology within the SOM Community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or four years related experience and an Associate's degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Solid foundation and hands on experience with Windows and Apple hardware; Mac OS X, Windows 10 and 11; iPad, iPhone, and Android-enabled devices, troubleshooting of miscellaneous hardware problems, standard application packages (Microsoft Office productivity tools and standard electronic mail packages).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and superior customer service orientation. Proven ability and drive to provide excellent customer service. Customer service experience in a Help Desk environment/capacity. Exceptional oral and written communication skills, well organized, and detail oriented.
- Team player with ability to work collegially with peers and colleagues. References must indicate reliable attendance and punctuality, ability to communicate effectively and tactfully, ability to organize and prioritize own work, and the ability to work effectively with others in a team setting.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment. Proven ability to address production or operational problems with a sense of urgency, ability to quickly make diagnosis and establish rapport with clients.
- Ability to move equipment up to 50 pounds. Flexible schedule: must be able to cover flexible Help Desk hours, occasional weekend, and weeknight events.
Experience with instructional technology systems. One of the following certifications: A+, Network+, Microsoft, Apple/Mac.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.