Detailed Job Listing:
JOB FAMILY: MANAGERIAL AND PROFESSIONAL
STARS Requisition: 74151BR
University Job Title: Financial Analyst 2
Department Job Title: Financial Analyst, Academic Programs and Administration
The Financial Analyst provides leadership in resource planning and is responsible for the development of comprehensive analysis projections, plans and budgets consistent with the mission and goals of the Yale School of Management (Yale SOM). Identifies risks and trends and develops analyses and reports that will inform and advise decision-making by school and department leadership. Produces ad-hoc projections and analysis. Participates fully in the budget, forecast, long-range planning, and year-end processes. The Financial Analyst reports to the Director of Business Operations. This position currently functions on a hybrid schedule for remote work and on-campus.
- Financial Modeling and Forecasting. Provides technical analysis to determine present and future financial performance. Organizes information from a variety of sources for use in analyzing future plans and forecasts. Collaborates with all levels of management, both internally and externally, to gather, analyze, summarize, prepare, and present recommendations regarding financial plans and other complex financial matters. Researches and evaluates information to resolve issues and makes recommendations. Develops and/or executes complex financial models.
- Financial Analysis and Reporting. Analyzes and synthesizes information and designs and creates accurate and timely reports. Designs financial reporting to meet the compliance needs of internal and external users. Extracts and consolidates data from multiple sources.
- Financial Methods and Systems. Contributes to the planning and improvement of practices, processes, and systems. Collaborates with all levels of internal and external contacts to carry out department goals. Provides a high level of service that cultivates and maintains strong working relationships and communicates effectively; takes ownership and accountability for timeliness, accuracy, and relationship management.
- Strategic Resource. Translates department finance goals into objectives. Identifies and raises potential financial opportunities, issues, risks, ideas, and solutions. Identifies the appropriate stakeholders to include in consultations, communications, approvals, or buy-ins for designing and implementing changes.
- Compliance and Risk Management. Establishes, implements and/or maintains strong internal controls in areas of assigned responsibility to provide reasonable assurance of effective and appropriate resource use, accurate financial information, and adherence to contractual obligations and agreements, policies, procedures, and external regulatory requirements.
- Mentors, leads, and/or supervises staff.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Economics, or Finance and four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated application of financial, accounting, and economic concepts.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Proactive self-starter, resourceful, with ability to multi-task, learn quickly, and work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high attention to detail.
- Strong computer skills especially with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Excellent interpersonal written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated interest in learning and developing as a financial or business professional.
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and track record of building and leading diverse, inclusive teams.
Experience using Workday and Yale Budgeting Tool (YBT). Experience preparing budgets, forecasts, and financial plans; experience integrating multiple pieces of financial information to identify themes, trends, and issues. Global orientation.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.