Florian Ederer is an Associate Professor of Economics at the Yale School of Management and a Research Staff Member at the Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics.
Professor Ederer’s research which has been widely published in leading journals, is in the areas of organizational economics, innovation, and behavioral economics. It focuses on the incentive design in organizations, how it shapes innovation and how it is in turn affected by social interactions and more realistic assumptions about the motives of principals and agents. Some of his recent work explores the impact of common ownership on managerial compensation and the existence and pervasiveness of “killer acquisitions” that prevent startups from challenging dominant market incumbents. In his academic work he draws on a broad set of tools often combining theoretical models, experimental methods, and empirical analysis.
Prior to joining the Yale School of Management Professor Ederer was a faculty member of the UCLA Anderson School of Management. He earned his doctorate in economics at the Massachusetts Institute for Technology and his master’s and undergraduate degrees from the University of Oxford.
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
- MPhil, University of Oxford, 2004
- BA, University of Oxford, 2002
- Competitive Strategy MGT 525
- Competition Economics & Policy MGT 589
- Behavioral Economics: The Psychology and Behavior of Individuals, Organizations, and Markets MGT 854
- Robert F. Lanzilotti Prize for Best Paper in Antitrust, International Industrial Organization Conference (IIOC), 2020
- Yale SOM Alumni Association Teaching Award, Outstanding Teacher in an Elective Class, 2018, 2014
- Best Innovation Paper in Last 5 Years Award, INFORMS, 2018
- Mark A. Satterthwaite Best Paper Prize, Health Care Markets Conference, 2018
- Charles River Associates Best Corporate Finance Paper Award, Western Finance Association, 2018
- Sumantra Ghoshal Research and Practice Award, Academy of Management, 2018
- Oliver Williamson Best Conference Paper Award, SIOE, 2017
- "Best 40 Business Professors under 40", Poets & Quants, 2017
- IEAF-FEF Prize for Best Research Paper in Financial Economics, 2016