YPFS Hiring Research Associates
The Yale Program on Financial Stability (YPFS) is currently recruiting for its two-year Research Associate position. Research Associates will be part of a team working to launch the YPFS’s New Bagehot Project, an online platform for the dissemination of information on how to respond to financial crises such as the Global Financial Crisis of 2007-2009 (the GFC). Working under the supervision of senior staff, Research Associates will be responsible for developing case studies of specific interventions attempted by policymakers during the GFC and other crises throughout history. These case studies focus on the critical design decisions made in establishing the interventions and will serve as the backbone for an online “playbook” that future policymakers can consult to help guide them during financial crises. The work of the Research Associates will involve extensive reading and writing and will be different from that typically done in traditional RA positions in economics. While still being a potentially good fit for someone interested in pursuing graduate studies in economics, the Research Associate opportunity is also appropriate for those considering law school, careers in public policy, etc.
- Collects and organizes information from primary source materials, government reports, the academic literature, etc. relating to specific interventions adopted in response to financial crises;
- Arranges and conducts interviews with policymakers, financial market participants, etc. to gain additional information about the interventions;
- Works with senior staff to clarify the key design decisions associated with the interventions;
- Writes case study narratives translating economic information into coherent prose;
- Reviews drafts with senior staff and incorporates revisions into text;
- Prepares supporting materials for the case studies in the form of comprehensible tables and charts;
- Identifies intervention-related resources for resource repository;
- In conjunction with other team members, contributes to the thinking behind the design of the New Bagehot Project online platform;
- May perform other duties as assigned, including working on other initiatives related to disseminating information about financial crises such as assisting with the delivery of online and in-person courses on the GFC.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Political Science or a related field.
- Strong interest in financial markets and financial crises.
- Solid analytical background and a demonstrated ability to write quickly and clearly (candidates are asked to provide writing samples).
- A team player who works well with other members of the staff.
- Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and changing environment.
To learn more about the position, please send a cover letter explaining your interest in the Research Associate opportunity and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org