Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 55127BR
University Job Title: Director, Yale Center of Customer Insights
Department Job Title: Executive Director of Strategic Partnerships
The Yale Center for Customer Insights (YCCI) advances the science of behavior and human thinking to drive growth in an evolving marketplace by forming collaborations, convening dialogue, and disseminating knowledge.
Partnering with the Faculty Director and the Executive Directors of YCCI, the Director will manage and develop the portfolio of marketing and insights projects with leading corporations and work with faculty to apply behavioral science frameworks to address challenges around behavior changes, as well as to further embed behavioral science principles within their organizations.
The broader portfolio of the YCCI is comprised of the following: action-oriented learning programs for graduate students and executives; analytics and experimentation projects that engage faculty, fuel research, and help answer marketing leaders’ toughest questions; communications and events that disseminates academic research to the marketing and insights community. The Director is an integral partner to center leadership, and will partner with staff and faculty to drive growth for the YCCI through: successful project leadership and management; managing and cultivating partner relationships and experiences; marketing and development.
- Align with insights and marketing leaders at partner organizations to identify and solve business problems requiring behavior change based on rigorous frameworks developed by the center faculty.
- Manage all operational aspects of marketing projects, including working with faculty leads and corporate partners to scope projects, draft proposals and execute timelines.
- Employ a full range of marketing skills to ensure end-to-end management of work streams.
- Lead both informal and formal debriefings with corporate partners for each project phase. Develop a more robust internal and external feedback system with partners, faculty, and staff.
- Work with partners to ensure insights are being actioned within the organization. Develop a way to track insights implementation, and lead creatively across organizations to address any roadblocks.
- Analyze and synthesize consumer behavioral insights from multiple sources to develop rapid online testing and surveys, leading to realistic, insightful and actionable recommendations.
Partner Relationship & Experience Management:
- Deliver a high-touch, professional experience for the partners engaged in projects with the center. Identify new ways to articulate and enhance the value that YCCI can bring to the organization including, e.g., identifying new opportunities to action insights or ways to deepen engagement with the YCCI or Yale SOM overall.
- Work with the Faculty Director and Executive Director(s) to manage the YCCI advisory board and participate in the agenda setting of the annual board meeting.
Discovery Project Management:
- Work collaboratively with Faculty Leadership and YCCI Discovery Project staff to help scope, plan and deliver two Discovery Projects per semester. Discovery Projects are consumer research driven research projects executed by MBAs and led by Yale SOM faculty in collaboration with leading Fortune 500 partner organizations.
- Work with Faculty Leads and corporate partners to scope projects and draft proposals.
- Shepherd student teams through management of semester-long projects to assure consistently high quality deliverable. Coach students on presentation design and execution to assure ideas are effectively translated to audience.
Marketing and Development:
- Work with the Executive Director(s) to deliver on the Center’s strategic growth and strategic communications plans.
- Develop a mix of tactics that can help the Center meet strategic goals while being consistent to YCCI’s mission and vision.
- Ensure that all communications, events and messaging align to the strategic plan, mission and vision of the YCCI.
- Co-manage a team of associate directors and administrative support, including assigning projects based on center priorities and mission, providing ongoing direction, guidance and feedback, and ensuring that learning needs are met.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and seven years of work experience in a related field, such as Insights, Marketing Management or Consulting, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Proven project leadership and marketing management experience (at the rank of director or higher, consultant or market expert at a leading management consultancy (rank of senior associate, engagement manager or higher). Ability to easily transition from a broad strategic perspective to a tactical, action-oriented approach.
- Proactive, creative, problem-solving approach. Ability to identify and anticipate organizational needs, establish priorities, then plan, executive and deliver on varying simultaneous projects in a timely manner. Proven organizational skills. Ability to work in a fast-faced, results oriented environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with people at all levels of an organization. Team player who works well with YCCI staff and faculty. Superior interpersonal and communication skills to interact effectively for communication inside and outside of Yale.
- Excellent planning skills: attention to detail, information organization, timeline tracking, and comprehensive communication across many teams and at all organizational levels. Strategic and innovative thinking to recognize opportunities.
- Strong leadership skills to provide direction and motivation to team members through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement. Customer service focus to understand affiliate partners’ needs and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
Experience as a senior marketing leader in a B2C industry (at the level of director of senior director), or in a top tier management consulting firm (at a senior associate or engagement manager level). MBA or relevant Master's degree. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.