Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 75722BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Events Specialist
The Events Specialist provides high level support as a critical member of the Office of Inclusion and Diversity (OID). This person will coordinate all events for the office for internal and external audiences and will provide administrative support across all department initiatives. This role reports to the Inclusion and Diversity Leader and requires close partnership with colleagues and current Yale SOM students.
- Coordinate event planning and logistics for all OID events, virtually and/or in-person. Serve as a welcoming face for attendees, organize event schedule, location logistics, catering, survey administration and other services needed. Coordinate travel reimbursements and payment of external and internal providers to ensure all expenses are accounted for and the events run smoothly.
- Create visually appealing marketing materials and flyers for events; leverage social media and school websites to advertise programming to desired audiences.
- Support student affinity groups with their event planning needs. Engage directly with students to support them in implementing their programming and initiatives.
- Using the relevant University systems and other reporting tools, oversee OID’s expenses and other relevant information for events, including tracking expenses for individual events; vendor set-up, travel booking, and arranging payment for supplies and services; following up with vendors, staff, and other offices as needed; generating reports on expenditures. Establish, implement, and coordinate procedures to ensure compliance with all University budget regulations and reporting requirements as appropriate for events coordination.
- Liaise with central HR stakeholders; run reporting for Yale SOM DEI eLearning compliance; provide updates to the OID team
- Provide customer service support to community members visiting the department.
- Participate in continuous improvement efforts; offer ideas based on event and student feedback to improve future initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related work experience; four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate’s degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills in Windows and Microsoft products, Word, (including merges) advanced Excel (or equivalent database) Outlook (Calendar), and PowerPoint. Very strong detail orientation.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and customer service skills with ability to represent the University professionally. Contributes ideas and consistently contributes to improve all processes for team. Strong oral and written communication skills. Absolute discretion with confidential information and materials.
- Strong independent judgment and capacity to take initiative in a “multitasking” environment with minimal supervision. Ability to relate comfortably and knowledgeably with a wide range of individuals in high-level academic and/or professional positions.
- Ability to adapt to changing work environment and responsibilities.
Bachelor’s degree. Working knowledge of Yale policies and procedures. Global orientation; experience working across diverse constituencies; passion for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.