Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 60267BR
University Job Title: Coordinator 4, Events
Department Job Title: Events Manager
Reporting to the Associate Director of Events Operations, the Events Manager provides high quality experiences for clients renting space in Evans Hall. Manages all aspects of external events in Evans Hall including space and support services: catering, custodial, facilities, and technical services support.
- Assist in developing and executing plans that create an optimal client experience, through high-level customer satisfaction and meeting financial targets.
- Develop and implement plans to market space rental and catering business for Yale SOM to other Yale departments and external entities.
- Ensure all standard operating procedures for revenue and cost control are in place and consistently utilized.
- Provide managerial oversight in the planning, preparation, production and delivery of exceptional service to students, faculty, guests and conferees daily; in compliance with established university and departmental policies and practices. In concert with SOM Catering ensure compliance to set standards at catered events.
- Serve as expert resource and primary liaison for all non-SOM clients. Assess client needs for space, catering, facilities, custodial and technical services support. In concert with the client and/or SOM Catering, coordinate service rentals, buy-outs (flowers), AV, entertainment, etc. Connect client with SOM Catering to develop event concept, menu and determine staffing needs and cost estimates.
- Provide cost estimates for external clients. Review billing information and ensure invoice processing by Facilities support staff. Maintain client information database and event order system (Reserve) by; inputting client information, developing proposals, event schedules and details, contracts and invoices.
- Assist in managing the operating budget for assigned unit and provide weekly updates; produces and maintains operational and other business reporting as required.
- Assist in managing and coordinating the activities of events teams. Develop and provide instruction and floor plans for external event set-up. Responsible for performance management including providing routine job performance feedback.
- Serve as a member of the Event Management System Strategy Team to coordinate all internal and external events across the school to ensure optimal execution of all programs.
- Identify opportunities to improve workflow, equipment and working environment, and recommend enhancements.
- Provide back-up support as needed for Dean’s Office speaker events, internal events, catering coordination, building tours, interface with Yale Security, etc.
- Perform additional duties incidental to activities in Facilities and Business Operations to maintain the highest level of support for the Yale SOM community.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Detail oriented and well-developed organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated professional judgement.
- Polished, professional demeanor. Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact effectively with high-profile visitors and high-level members of an institution. Excellent independent judgment, sensitivity, and knowledge of appropriate protocol.
- Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
Related degree and two years in the hospitality field (including menu development, basic food and wine knowledge and large event management), experience managing client relationships and events, managing multiple projects simultaneously, background in catering services, and facilitating the delivery of world-class service. Global orientation, experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.