Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 72374BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Events Coordinator
Provide high-level support for the coordination and execution of Evans Hall programs and events, and related activities. Serve as initial contact for Yale School of Management (SOM) events-related activities. Provide administrative support for the operations department.
- Serve as initial point of contact for events at Yale SOM. Review and prioritize incoming requests, independently manage and resolve issues and/or refer to appropriate team member. Duties include, but are not limited to, planning, delivery, reconciliation, logistics, scheduling, event materials, and supporting documentation.
- Serve as Event Management System (EMS) system resource. Receive, review, approve/deny and process school-wide requests for room reservations. Refer complex requests to leadership team for review. Provide training, support, and guidance to EMS room reservation system users.
- Assist the Facilities and Catering teams with administrative tasks. This may include JIRA facilities tickets, access, key management, and other duties.
- With a detailed understanding of the rhythm of the SOM annual calendar, may advise faculty and staff on the availability of rooms and other spaces for recurring and non-recurring events.
- Review reservations booked in function spaces two weeks in advance to ensure appropriate set-ups/breakdowns, custodial, facilities, security, communications, and media services requests are included in the reservation.
- Serve as Events team point of contact with SOM Media Services Department.
- Prepare schedule for evening and weekend events and send to all relevant departments.
- Attend regular meetings with Events team leadership, custodial managers, and event organizers to assist with planning and logistics to ensure optimal execution of all programs.
- May create and maintain standard setup diagram templates for events meeting deadlines. Resend updated/revised diagrams as necessary. Cross-reference and confirm diagrams match information in EMS to ensure accuracy. Distribute diagrams in a timely manner, via email and/or print as needed, to all relevant departments.
- Responsible for updating departmental portal and web sites.
- Monitor and respond to department email and phone accounts as needed.
- Ensure Events team leadership is kept updated on events-related activity.
- Using appropriate University systems, tools and processes, may manage the procurement of goods and services.
- Using the relevant University electronic systems and reporting tools, work closely with SOM’s business office to process financial transactions, create invoices for room rental, audio-visual support, and other building use by external clients. Process invoice payments for external building use, journal entries, purchase requisitions, and purchasing cards.
- Serve as point of contact for requests for temporary parking in Evans Hall garage. Work with SOM staff and the Yale Parking department to provide visitor parking for guests. Resolve issues independently and bring concerns to the attention of leadership.
- Prepare event and room signage.
- Contribute to identifying opportunities for improvement with workflow and systems.
- Provide backup support as needed for event setups, including floor support before, during and after events to ensure proper setup/breakdown and execution of all facets of events, as directed.
- Perform additional duties incidental to activities in Events and Operations to maintain the highest level of support.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Proven excellent computer skills including Windows and Microsoft products, Word, Excel, and Outlook. Internet navigation skills and research skills. Ability to learn new software and using evolving technology.
- Excellent proofreading, editing, and writing skills for drafting material. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear, pleasant, grammatically correct, and professional manner.
- Superior interpersonal skills and welcoming manner. Ability to represent the school professionally at events. Must be able to flex schedule to provide coverage (evenings and weekends) must be able to meet overtime requirements.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy with demonstrated ability to concentrate and perform with constant and varied interruptions, ability to prioritize to meet deadlines and conflicting demands in an organized manner.
- Ability to regularly solve problems, take initiative and anticipate actions needed. Ability to properly use independent judgment. Ability to function effectively as part of a team.
Bachelor’s degree. Experience in the hospitality/tourism field or equivalent. Experience with EMS Room Reservation System. Web maintenance skills.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.