Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 65274BR
University Job Title: Director of Reunion Giving, SOM
Department Job Title: Director of Reunion Giving
The Director of Reunion Giving will serve as a key member of Yale SOM’s Development and Alumni Relations team. Under the general supervision of the Assistant Dean for Development, they will oversee the SOM Reunion Giving program, developing, and executing comprehensive cultivation, solicitation, and volunteer management strategies to achieve goals of the program within the broader goals of SOM. They will manage a team of fundraising professionals to establish and implement strategic plans to accomplish fundraising goals; mentor and guide staff to develop effective strategies for institutional relationships with volunteers and donors; directly manage reunion class gift campaigns; and oversee the team’s interactions with volunteers and alumni, as well as with prospects. This may include evaluating various gift opportunities and giving vehicles and helping staff to recommend the most suitable for a particular donor. They will facilitate relationships between gift prospects, key volunteers, and activities of staff. Carry out other duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean for Development and the Deputy Dean, Alumni, Development, and Special Initiatives.
- Develop and execute clearly articulated fundraising goals and short- and long-term strategic plans. Guide goal setting and development and implementation of business plans for each constituency to guarantee that goals are attained.
- Develop and manage comprehensive campaign plan for reunion classes, including determining and recruiting leadership, setting goals, and collaborating on individual prospect strategy for major, leadership, and participation gifts.
- Direct and grow a team of development professionals responsible for achieving goals while fostering a culture of innovation, exemplary customer service, teamwork, and collaboration.
- Ensure that prospects are solicited for the right level contribution, as efficiently and effectively as possible. Target donors via multiple strategies, including cultivation and solicitation by volunteers and/or staff. Develop and implement unique and impactful strategies for particular constituencies.
- Develop powerful volunteer recruitment and management strategies and ensure that volunteers are proactively encouraged, trained, and supported. Serve as key liaison and foster positive relationships with volunteer leadership.
- Partner closely with the SOM Alumni Fund, Alumni Relations, and other key partners to develop and implement strategic efforts as appropriate. Represent the SOM Office of Development to internal and external constituencies as appropriate.
- Manage expenditure budget for program. Create and execute innovative solicitations that produce desired results while maintaining cost controls.
- Monitor and analyze results of outreach and solicitations to determine effectiveness and opportunities for improvement.
- Support and communicate the long-term strategic direction of Yale SOM, SOM Development, and the Reunion Giving program while managing the myriad individuals, details, and deadlines involved in cultivations, solicitation, and stewardship of key prospects in SOM reunion classes.
- Collaborate effectively with SOM Development and Alumni Relations teams and colleagues to negotiate through complex donor situations, share information, and resolve issues. Work regularly and cooperatively with other development offices to ensure overall development priorities, plans, and initiatives are coordinated.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and six years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- An excellent track record of managing, leading, and directing professional staff. Ability to recruit and hire new talent and demonstrated ability to motivate, inspire, and develop current staff with an emphasis on building a strong team effort.
- Proven success in cultivating, soliciting, and closing gifts at all levels. A high level of determination to set and exceed fundraising goals, and superb knowledge of gift-planning practices.
- Effectiveness in management of volunteers and a history of successful work with high-level volunteer leadership.
- Superb organizational, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment successfully and with a sense of humor.
- Familiarity with and commitment to the mission of Yale SOM.
Management experience, especially in managing/leading a team of fundraising professionals focused on gifts at major, leadership, and participatory levels, is preferred.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.