Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 59362BR
University Job Title: Exec Ed Program Mgr, Curriculum & Client Dev
Department Job Title: Director of Client and Curriculum Development
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Executive Education, the Director of Client and Curriculum Development, has responsibility for new business development, client relationship management, and program design and development for the Yale School of Management’s nondegree executive programs. As part of a team, this role will develop and sell learning solutions across the Executive Education portfolio.
Business and Market Development
- Manage a portfolio of at least $5 million in revenue. It is expected that 50%-75% of the portfolio will be business generated by the Director, as opposed to legacy clients or programs handed off by another team member.
- Able to manage a diverse portfolio of in-person and online programs, as well as potential other “products” such as simulations, executive boardrooms, off-sites and special projects, etc.
- Client portfolio must show significant growth year over year.
- Consult with corporate executives to identify their firms’ strategic and leadership development challenges.
- These programs should leverage Yale faculty expertise and meet clearly identified market demand.
- Develop client relationships through existing contacts, the Yale network, and targeted marketing strategies.
- Retain existing clients through strong relationships and strong program performance.
- Drives business development strategy.
- Collaborate closely with Yale institutes, centers, and departments to leverage relationships and reputation. Seek client relationships that create value for these stakeholders.
- Manage multi-year client relationships. Deal professionally and in a proactive manner with prospective and current clients, and be able to assess their educational needs, requirements and expectations.
- Develop marketing strategies. Identify trends to maximize effectiveness of marketing efforts; research targeted markets and evaluate marketing strategies to identify potential consumers.
- Respond to requests for proposal (RFPs). Developing and write proposals for new business opportunities.
- Respond to speculative requests from prospective clients in a professional and effective manner.
- Create strong partnerships with Yale faculty and engage them in discussions about how to apply their expertise and research to serve client needs; build faculty enthusiasm for, and commitment to, working with Yale SOM Executive Education.
- Collaboratively facilitate and manage the course content development process. Course content may include lectures, projects, simulations, assessments, and so forth. Coordinate all contributors and ensure curricular excellence of all programs.
- Seen as a trusted advisor to both faculty and clients.
- Able to “sell” faculty and clients on the use of new technology and innovative teaching methods
- As a member of the Executive Education team, work in collaboration with the program management team to oversee operational planning and delivery of programs.
- Represent Yale SOM and Executive Education as formal host for client groups on campus and off-campus for executive programs.
- Participate in the formal contracting process with clients; lead price negotiations.
- Develop, document, and refine processes and procedures to ensure high-quality program development and delivery in collaboration with the Senior Director of Program Operations.
- Develop and refine forecasts of instructional resource needs based on growth plans.
- Support the Assistant Dean in the development of business plans.
- Work with Yale SOM colleagues to develop marketing and communications materials.
- Work with Executive Education and Business Operations team members to develop budgets and monitor expenses.
- Viewed by colleagues as a team player and someone who adds value.
- Excellent public speaking skills, able to represent Yale to very senior leaders.
- Recognized as a leader on the team.
- Other projects as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and ten years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Proven track record of selling education and services, demonstrable credibility with Sr. Executives, strong business-to-business capabilities. Established network of Sr. Corporate leaders and/or HR experts. Superior consultative sales skills, ability to manage/grow long-term client relationships.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills to interact effectively and represent Yale University, YSOM, and Yale Executive Programs professionally with participants, faculty, administrators and corporate contacts domestically and globally in a wide variety of contexts and circumstances.
- Ability to manage budgets and P&L statements and to handle complex negotiations. Strong understanding, knowledge of, and ability to foresee, analyze, and understand international and domestic business trends and the concerns of executives.
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills. Proven ability to work within a team environment and on project teams. Ability to organize and manage multiple projects and processes simultaneously. Ability to work in a fast-paced, results oriented environment.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and execute on operational strategic initiatives and to move a business unit, team or organization in the direction specified in its strategic plan. Ability to travel to domestic and international locations and work outside normal business hours.
Advanced degree and 15 years of experience. Experience in academic and/or corporate education environments; direct experience working with university faculty and administration; and familiarity with contemporary corporate education practices. Experience using Salesforce. Experience with project-based learning. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.