Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 64158BR
University Job Title: Associate Director 2
Department Job Title: Director of Academic and Student Affairs, MBA for Executives
Reporting to the Assistant Dean, MBA for Executives (EMBA), the Director is responsible for managing all aspects of the operational and administrative activities of the MBA for Executives program delivery, both curricular and extracurricular, student life, academic advising, and the development and implementation of program initiatives, including program innovation and improvement that forward the school’s mission and enhance the academic and professional experiences of MBA for Executive students at SOM. Work collaboratively with other SOM departments to ensure comprehensive and integrated delivery of the school’s mission. Serve as primary liaison with faculty and administrators to assist all academic services including advising, scheduling and co-curricular workshop and activities. Leads a program team of staff members and student workers providing strategic guidance, driving operational efficiencies, and ensuring a best-in-class program experience.
- Manage all programs related to student life including communications, academic advising, co-curricular and extra-curricular events, orientation, commencement, and other programs as needed in line with the goals and priorities of SOM.
- Revise existing policies and draft new departmental policies as needed. Work with team to update SOM Bulletin as needed.
- Serve as liaison with faculty, all administrative departments, alumni, student reps, student government, outside firms and individuals as needed to facilitate on-going development, improvement, and implementation of student life programs and excellent student experience.
- Lead the academic planning and scheduling to deliver the EMBA curriculum. Work with the Faculty Directors for the core and focus areas to set the curriculum. Review course and faculty evaluations and work with faculty directors to ensure courses are appropriately staffed.
- Identify elective options and jointly with faculty directors and Assistant Dean for Faculty Affairs, approve new elective, focus area classes, and secure teaching appointments for external faculty.
- Serve as primary liaison with faculty to ensure consistent course delivery and train new faculty on EMBA program policies and best practices. Oversee recruitment, training, and evaluation of TA’s.
- Serve as liaison with the Registrar on EMBA courses set up and registering students in EMBA and non-EMBA courses.
- Oversee the EMBA Global Network Week activities. Work with Global Initiatives team on GNW communication and to ensure appropriate student placement in GNW options and accommodations.
- Direct and implement all programmatic elements of the Commonwealth Fund Fellowship for Minority Health Leadership, in conjunction with Grant Lead P.I., including speaker series, mentorship program and delivery of immersive field study trips.
- Oversee and manage student progress in program including academic standards, tutoring, connecting with other appropriate resources at SOM, the University, and the alumni community.
- Design and implement the execution of new student onboarding and the orientation program. Responsible for the comprehensive programming for incoming classes including design and delivery of the admit site, virtual on-boarding activities and webinars, online MBA-prep work, Summer Pre-Program Math Program, Orientation, In-Residence, Student Affairs presentations, networking events, etc. Oversee staffing and provide communication to students and guests about program plans. Identify areas for improvement and gather data through student surveys to provide recommendations to enhance future programs.
- Lead and manage logistical aspects of Commencement weeks for all degree programs in coordination with Assistant Dean and other Student and Academic Services staff, other SOM departments, and with student groups.
- Identify and implement co-curricular workshops and on campus activities to round out the leadership development program and connect EMBA students to the broader Yale community. Develop possible list of workshops and cultivate faculty and Yale relationships for delivery.
- Work with the Career Development Office to identify career workshops and ensure appropriate career services are provided for the program.
- Meet regularly with student leaders to ensure open communication between the program and students. Design and administer student surveys. Analyze data on student programs and provide high-level reporting and recommendations for change and improvements.
- Review programming and communications for programs to make sure school is consistent with messaging and providing support to all students.
- Direct responsibility for management of operational aspects of the EMBA program. Ensure overall excellence of day-to-day operational details of the program and smooth functioning of class weekends and events, both academic and social, by planning and coordinating with program staff, and with other SOM administrative offices, faculty members, support staff and vendors.
- Oversee program team and provide direction, guidance, and strategic planning for department needs. Manage, coach, train and develop the work of the program team including the identification of best practices, course content delivery, faculty engagement, academic advising for students, delivery of coaching component of Leadership Development, and program improvement and innovation.
- Oversee and manage financial activity for EMBA program. Work in collaboration with the Business Office and Assistant Dean to manage program office budget. Work with Financial Aid and Registrar to ensure student accounts are correct. Supervise audit process and identify systems to enhance transparency and efficiency.
- Oversee and manage communications to students, including weekly newsletters and the SOM EMBA Portal, Canvas student pages, admitted student portal, external website, and EMBA alumni newsletter.
- Effectively represents the SOM and EMBA program in front of a variety of audiences, including SOM Boards, donors, committees, Global Network for Advanced Management partners, prospective applicants, students, staff, and alumni. Develops and delivers public presentations.
- Works with the Assistant Dean of the EMBA program on the strategic development and evolution of the programs and their positioning. Keeps abreast of market trends for management education.
- As a member of the EMBA team, contribute to other projects and activities as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in related field. A minimum of four years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work weekends and evenings is required.
- Passion for quality and improvement.
- Positive and can-do attitude that supports the mission of the school.
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal skill is required, including comfort in interacting with and coordinating the activities of students, faculty, administrators, and senior level practitioners and policymakers.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills required to interact effectively with a range of internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to initiate programmatic and individual activities while functioning in a team setting. Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Ability to delegate and line manage.
- Strong analytical and computer skills, including ability to work with advanced MS Office, complex databases, and spreadsheets.
- Ability to plan and manage the work of others and mentor and develop a growing team.
- Strong understanding of pedagogical processes and curriculum design to clearly understand the goals and methods of SOM’s academic programs and ability to assess need for supplemental services.
- High-level analytical skills, strong managerial and computer skills and proven organizational skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and track record of building and leading diverse, inclusive teams.
Six years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience. Program and team management experience. Prior experience in higher education or a field consistent with career paths of management students. Experience in a high end/high touch customer environment. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.