Detailed Job Listing:
JOB FAMILY: MANAGERIAL AND PROFESSIONAL
STARS Requisition: 72612BR
University Job Title: Associate Director 2
Department Job Title: Director of Academic and Student Affairs, The Broad Center
The Director of Academic and Student Affairs is responsible for managing all aspects of the operational and administrative activities of the Master’s in Public Education Management, hereafter referred to as The Broad Master’s or TBM, including building deep relationships to support students, overseeing operations of program delivery and scheduling, and ensuring continuous improvement of the program over time. As the Director of a newly launched degree program at SOM with a unique student profile and schedule, the Director will work in close partnership with the Executive Director, The Broad Center at Yale School of Management (TBC) staff, and colleagues across SOM and Yale University to plan, execute, and evaluate all program elements and ensure that each element is directly supporting the program’s mission. The Director will have overall ownership over the success of TBM. Reports to the Executive Director of TBC.
- Partner with TBC staff and Yale SOM departments to ensure exceptional delivery of all elements of the TBM program, including coursework, colloquia, and capstone projects.
- Manage all elements of the student experience, including academic advising and student progress in program, communications, operations and logistics, orientation, commencement, and other programs as needed in line with the goals and priorities of TBM. Build strong relationships, individually and collectively, with the students in The Broad Master’s (approximately 30 students per cohort, with a total program length of 14 months, full-time working professionals in K-12 urban school systems).
- Revise existing policies and draft new policies as needed, updating these through proper university channels, in coordination with academic and student life teams at SOM.
- Lead course and colloquium planning, staffing, and scheduling. Coordinate with Executive Director, Faculty Affairs, and faculty members to support consistent course delivery. Oversee recruitment, training, and evaluation of TAs as needed.
- Serve as liaison with the Registrar on TBM course set up, student registration, grading, and conferral of degrees.
- Oversee and manage student progress toward graduation including academic standards, degree requirements, connecting with appropriate resources at SOM, the University, and the alumni community.
- Design and administer student surveys on overall experience, in addition to standard course evaluations. Analyze data on courses and student experience and provide high-level reporting and recommendations for change and improvements.
- Direct responsibility for management of operational aspects of the program. Ensure overall excellence of day-to-day operational details of the program with Yale SOM and smooth functioning of all student activities, including five residence weeks for each cohort, as well as monthly virtual sessions.
- Contribute substantially to TBM candidate recruitment and selection activities, under the direction of the TBC at SOM admissions staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and six years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience managing complex initiatives within higher education and/or K-12 education systems.
- Ability and willingness to take initiative, think strategically, and demonstrate creativity in a start-up environment. Comfort with ambiguity.
- Exceptional relationship-building, oral and written communication skills, to interact effectively with a range of internal and external constituencies, including comfort interacting with and coordinating the activities of students, faculty, administrators, and senior-level practitioners and policymakers.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects through collaboration and influencing others. Strong attention to detail and ability to execute a vision through precisely coordinated and timed action steps. Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Ability to delegate and manage others who are not direct reports.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and track record of working with and/or leading diverse, inclusive teams.
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings. Occasional domestic travel may be required.
Prior management experience in a K-12 public school system in a central office position, and/or experience and familiarity with student or academic services in a higher education institution.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.