Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 64524BR
University Job Title: Deputy Director, The Broad Center
Department Job Title: Deputy Director for The Broad Center
The Deputy Director of The Broad Center (TBC) at the Yale School of Management (Yale SOM) will build and maintain strong partnerships with urban public school systems and senior leaders in public K-12 education across the country, and will support the design, build, and delivery of the various programs and initiatives of The Broad Center. Working closely with the Center's Executive Director, affiliated faculty, other TBC staff, departments across Yale SOM, the university, program participants, and other TBC stakeholders, the Deputy Director will play a pivotal role in enabling the center to reach its ambitious objectives.
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with urban public school systems and senior leaders in public K-12 education across the country, including alumni of The Broad Center and Yale University who hold senior systems leaders’ roles.
- Identify new ways to articulate and enhance the value that TBC at SOM can bring to partnering school systems including, identifying new opportunities to share insights or ways to deepen engagement with TBC at SOM or Yale SOM overall.
- Develop a robust internal and external feedback system with partners, faculty, and staff.
- Manage knowledge on school systems to ensure The Broad Center’s work stays relevant and current with the field and to improve the quality of programming and supports offered.
- Leverage partnership and knowledge to identify practitioners to serve as guest lecturers and speakers, as well as case studies that can be used in The Broad Center’s degree and non-degree programs, and mentors for program participants.
- Support recruitment and identification of Fellows and Scholars for The Broad Center’s degree and non-degree programs and ensure school systems’ support for individuals’ participation.
- Manage K-12 public education-specific career mentorship and support activities, including identifying and supporting alumni mentors to work with program participants and executive coaching program.
- Identify top promising school systems leadership opportunities and support the career development of The Broad Center alumni in senior K-12 public education roles.
- Working closely with the Executive Director and staff of The Broad Center and colleagues in the Dean’s Office, as well as with key faculty members, the Deputy Director will play important roles in the development and implementation of The Broad Center’s strategy across its three pillars of teaching/leadership development programs; research; and policy engagement and convening, and in particular will manage the partnerships with top K-12 public education school systems and senior leaders of those systems that are critical to all three pillars.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and seven years of related experience, including experience in a K-12 public school system.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Outstanding coordination and proven organizational skills, including the ability to organize and manage multiple projects and processes simultaneously.
- Clear, concise, effective communicator, both written and spoken. Deep familiarity with higher education, including degree and non-degree programs, as well as the challenges facing contemporary public education in the US.
- Excellent problem-solving and collaboration skills, superior interpersonal skills to interact effectively and represent the school well with participants, faculty, administrators, and other contacts.
- Excellent independent judgment, high degree of motivation, self-starter, and disciplined. Proven commitment to diversity and inclusion, equity, and excellence.
- Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and changing environment. Ability to deal with ambiguity and complexity. Ability to work nights and weekends. Some travel required.
Master's degree in business, education, public policy, or a related field; senior leadership experience in a K-12 public school system.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.