Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 80164BR
University Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Copy Editor, Senior Administrative Assistant
The Copy Editor/Senior Administrative Assistant provides high-level editorial services and administrative support in all areas including assistance with editing and proofreading, support for teaching and research, and financial transactions. This person will be under the supervision of faculty members and the Associate Director of Faculty Support Services.
- Perform complex editing, revising, and proofreading on materials including faculty research papers, abstracts, and letters. Confer with authors on content, form, and style.
- Use editorial software to complete complex editing tasks.
- May work with co-authors and editors to coordinate revisions and deadlines.
- Scan course work and other documents. Download and upload course related information for the web for faculty course work and research. Secure/purchase teaching materials and obtain copyright permissions from publishers. Post course material to web-based course management system.
- Support assigned courses as session coordinator. Using Zoom (or other video conferencing communications) schedule class, create Zoom links for course meetings, virtually (or in-person) attend class and monitor or set up for session, support faculty with logistical issues, and communicate with students via Zoom chat (as needed and directed by faculty member), alert Media Services of any technical problems in the Zoom room, and moderate participation.
- Serve as a source of information to faculty, students, and staff on classroom AV technology.
- Serve as source of information to students, staff, and faculty on policies, procedures, and office activities.
- Search for information on-line and in various libraries (ORBIS, download articles). Submit research papers on-line.
- Gather, compile, organize and manipulate data to create reports or summaries. May design and set up spreadsheets and graphics. Create slides or make changes to PowerPoint presentations.
- Use the University’s electronic systems for expense management, vendor set-up, travel booking and placing product and service orders with vendors. Collect receipts for reimbursement of travel (domestic and international) and monitor reimbursements to Yale. Work closely with department’s business office in execution of all financial transactions. Prepare all documents in accordance to University policies and procedures.
- Coordinate logistics for seminars and guest lecturers. Schedule and coordinate meetings, talks and visitors (both on and off campus), including specifics of site visits, itineraries, travel arrangements, publicity, catering, entertainment, and accommodations. Maintain electronic calendar. Prepare required forms and reimbursements.
- Serve as point of contact for faculty recruiting process and assist new faculty with office set up and orientation process.
- Assist faculty members with various activities which can include large mail merges for letters of recommendation, recruitment and other correspondence, scheduling, and other matters, as requested.
- May work on faculty web sites as directed by faculty member.
- Identify problems with workflow, equipment and environment and make suggestions for improving the workplace. Manage ordering, stocking, and distribution of office and kitchen supplies, and incoming and outgoing mail and packages.
- Greet visitors, answer and screen telephone calls. Organize and maintain filing systems.
- Serve as member of faculty support team, provide training, and back up support for other faculty support staff and various departments.
- Perform additional duties incidental to office activities as necessary to maintain highest level of customer service.
Required Education & Experience:
Six years of related work experience; four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills of Windows and Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Outlook (Calendar) and PowerPoint or equivalent. Internet navigation skills. Web maintenance skills.
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear, pleasant, grammatically correct and professional manner. Ability to represent the School professionally at events.
- Ability to prioritize to meet deadlines and follow schedules; multi-task effectively with strong attention to accuracy, detail, thoroughness and follow-through with conflicting demands and deadlines.
- Excellent attendance record. Ability to function effectively as part of a team to provide support to faculty and Yale SOM Departments.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and accomplish work for several faculty members and to regularly solve problems, take initiative and anticipate actions needed. Ability to properly use independent judgment.
Bachelor’s Degree. Working knowledge of Yale policies and procedures governing travel; experience with event planning. Experience with web-based electronic course content system. Ability to provide classroom AV support. Ability to flex schedule or work occasional overtime.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.