Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 58583BR
University Job Title: Chief Administrative Officer, School of Management
Department Job Title: Chief Administrative Officer
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is a member of the Yale School of Management (Yale SOM) leadership team and works with that team to fulfill the school’s mission. The CAO is responsible for identifying, evaluating, and leading university-wide initiatives to improve operational and administrative support for faculty, students, and staff at Yale SOM. The CAO reports to the Dean of Yale SOM and is specifically responsible for managing the school’s human resources, information technology, operations and facilities including hospitality services.
Working closely with the Chief Financial Officer, the CAO represents Yale SOM in interactions with the university’s central administration on a wide range of non-academic matters, including representation on various university committees. Interact with external contacts such as CAO staff from other educational institutions.
- Provide leadership to Yale SOM’s administrative units that manage operations, facilities, human resources, and information technology. Direct the administration of the day-to-day non-academic activities of the school.
- Make recommendations and provide counsel to the Dean in the planning and implementation of major projects. At the direction of the Dean, develop and implement strategies and plans to ensure the best use of the school’s resources. Develop infrastructure that supports inter-disciplinary initiatives that reach beyond unit and school boundaries in fulfillment of Yale SOM’s mission.
- Conduct intensive examination of cost savings in plans. Pay continual attention to restructuring of operations in order to improve efficiency. Direct efforts to outsource services, consolidate activities, and eliminate unnecessary activities. Work with others at the school on extensive benchmarking of the activities of peer schools. Direct a school-wide review of administrative processes, project progress, and performance.
- In concert with the Dean and leadership team, develop long-range business and operational strategies for the school. Negotiate with the central university (on matters related to domains of responsibility) and collaborate in the development and implementation of policies, priorities, and programs.
- Direct the implementation of new technologies approved by the Dean throughout the school. Oversee the Chief Information Officer. Identify needs and direct the development of new systems and programs. Use technology optimally in support of the school’s mission.
- Ensure the development and execution of human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the school, specifically in the areas of recruitment, succession planning, talent management, organizational and performance management, training and development, and compensation. Oversee the Managing Director of Human Resources.
- Serve as senior administrative official responsible for the school’s physical plant and security, hospitality, events management and custodial services and oversee the Managing Director of Operations and Facilities. Oversee the analysis and planning for all construction, renovation and maintenance needs, evaluation of space needs and policy making for Yale SOM facilities. Direct the use of the Yale SOM campus. Provide ongoing direction in the area of facilities assessment and management. Assess school requirements in the areas of classrooms, student and faculty activity space, and support spaces.
- Build and develop a high performance team in support of the university’s mission and goals.
- Assure that services provided to departments are effective and efficient, in accordance with policies and procedures, and in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Coordinate communication between business units, the school’s senior leadership team, and the central administrative services overseen by the position.
- Identify and monitor internal control issues as they arise, escalate them as necessary, work closely with the affected unit to resolve the problem, and implement corrective actions to ensure the problem is not repeated. Maintain an in-depth knowledge and understanding of internal control issues impacting the university.
- Help to recruit and develop Business Managers of various units at the university as needed.
- Perform special projects as requested.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and ten years of related experience or equivalent.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Experience and strong knowledge of managing complex operations, information systems, and human capital. Proven experience analyzing data, identifying objectives and constraints, and developing effective recommendations. Experience with and strong knowledge of human resources with demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of and experience with information systems.
- Proven leadership skills and record of accomplishment of building and developing successful teams. Proven ability developing, leading and managing strategies, initiatives, projects and ability to provide leadership in implementing organizational change. Demonstrated ability to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify multiple options for resolution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proven ability maintaining high levels of confidentiality on sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to interact in a highly effective manner with deans, faculty, administrators, staff and other stakeholders.
Advanced degree. Experience in university administration. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.