Detailed Job Listing:
JOB FAMILY: MANAGERIAL AND PROFESSIONAL
STARS Requisition: 74481BR
University Job Title: Student Services Officer 4, General
Department Job Title: Career Coach, Working Professionals
Design, develop, and deliver career management programming and coaching for alumni and Executive MBA students of Yale School of Management (Yale SOM). Programming includes large lectures, hands-on training programs, virtual and online/recorded programs, special events, one-on-one career coaching, and other special projects as needed. Assessing priorities, work load allocation, and managing internal and external relationships is key to successful management. Reports to the Director of Career Education and Coaching with a dotted line report to the Managing Director of Alumni Engagement and Volunteer Engagement and Assistant Dean of the Executive MBA.
- Coach domestic and international alumni and EMBA students on appropriate career management and job search skills in one-on-one, small, and large group settings. Topics may include career progression/ promotion, career exploration, search strategy, resumes, networking, interview preparation and practice, and negotiating.
- Conceptualize, innovate/develop, and deliver/co-deliver career management programming to groups of 5-500 students and/or alumni. Programs include workshops, panel discussions, and virtual/online programs.
- Manage or lead various special projects/programs that provide career related support, such as the Reunion Career Day and Executive MBA-specific programming.
- Solicit, evaluate, track, and analyze data, using surveys and other tools/approaches, related to coaching programming assignments. Lead strategic conversations with the CDO team, EMBA office, Alumni Affairs, EMBA students, and/or other Yale staff to determine program offerings and innovations.
- Market, manage, disseminate, and document career management messages/communications internally and externally that pertain to programming, initiatives, or student needs. Responsibilities may include creating integrated marketing messages to building brand awareness for various programs, coordinating volunteer participation, or managing routine student and alumni communications through electronic and print media.
- Analyze markets and trends as they relate to the graduate management education job search and incorporate tips/advice into coaching students and alumni, and in developing career programming and written content.
- Other related responsibilities and projects as necessary.
Measures of Success:
- Feedback from students, alumni, staff and external constituencies such as employers.
- Successful delivery and management of programming responsibilities.
- Knowledge of Yale SOM environment, including people, facilities, and departments.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field and five years of experience in a related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to make independent, responsible decisions that create positive outcomes for SOM students, alumni, and employers.
- Experience with, knowledge of, or demonstrated interest in business careers, and global employment needs (Visa, etc.).
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, writing, and communication skills. Proficiency in using on-line resources, spreadsheets and presentation software.
- Deep commitment to customer service and the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work successfully in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated initiative, and the ability to work both independently and within a team. Ability to work in an ambiguous environment and influence across teams, including peers and non-direct reports.
- Occasional domestic and international travel. May require some evening or weekend hours for student, alumni, and employer events.
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and track record of building and leading diverse, inclusive teams.
Master’s degree in business or related field. Five or more years of experience in industry, experience recruiting or career coaching. Knowledge of career development, job search processes, and strong coaching skills. An understanding and appreciation for the needs and concerns of diverse working professionals with global backgrounds.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.