Detailed Job Listing:
JOB FAMILY: MANAGERIAL AND PROFESSIONAL
STARS Requisition: 75721BR
University Job Title: Student Services Officer 4
Department Job Title: Career Coach
Design, develop, and deliver career management programming and coaching for the Master of Advanced Management (MAM) student population as well as the broader Yale SOM student and alumni populations. Programming includes large lectures, hands-on training programs, virtual and online/recorded programs, special events, group career coaching, and other special projects as needed. Coaching includes conducting one-on-one career coaching sessions with students and alumni to support MAM students in their career management and ensure student success throughout the recruiting process. Topics covered include career assessment, search strategy, resume and cover letter writing, interviewing, and negotiation.
- Conceptualize, innovate/develop, and deliver/co-deliver career management programming specifically targeted at the very diverse and global student body in the MAM program. Evaluate and implement a variety of delivery mechanisms including workshops, panel discussions, large scale conferences, and virtual/online training programs. Aid in program design for the larger student body, as needed.
- Coach international students on appropriate career management and job search skills in one-on-one, small and large group settings.
- Solicit, evaluate, track, and analyze data, using surveys and other tools/approaches, related to programming assignments. Lead strategic conversations with the CDO team, student organizations, and/or other Yale staff to determine program offerings and innovations.
- Market, manage, disseminate, and document career management messages/communications internally and externally that pertain to programming, initiatives, or student needs. Responsibilities may include creating integrated marketing messages to building brand awareness for various programs, coordinating volunteer participation, or managing routine student communications through electronic and print media.
- Analyze markets and trends as they relate to the global graduate management education job search and incorporate tips/advice into coaching students, and in developing career programming and written content.
- Other related responsibilities and projects as necessary.
Measures of Success:
- Feedback from students, staff, and external constituencies such as vendors, employers, and alumni.
- Successful delivery and management of programming responsibilities.
- Knowledge of Yale SOM environment, including people, facilities, and departments.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field and five years of experience in a related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Skills & Abilities:
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience in career coaching, business development, MBA recruiting, talent management, and/or corporate relationship-building experience in the private sector and/or higher education. Significant global experience, understanding of and appreciation for the needs and concerns of a diverse student body with global backgrounds.
- Ability to make independent, responsible decisions that create positive outcomes for SOM students, alumni, and employers. Deep commitment to customer service and the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work successfully in a fast-paced environment.
- High degree of detail, project management, and strong organization skills.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, writing, and communication skills required. Proficiency in using on-line resources, spreadsheets and presentation software.
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated initiative, and the ability to work both independently and within a team. A leader with a positive and can-do attitude that supports the mission of the school.
Relevant Master’s degree in business, counseling, or related field. Experience with and knowledge of or demonstrated interest in business careers and global employment needs (Visa, etc.) Knowledge of career development theory and strong coaching or counseling skills. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.