Detailed Job Listing:
JOB FAMILY: MANAGERIAL AND PROFESSIONAL
STARS Requisition: 72383BR
University Job Title: Student Services Officer 4
Department Job Title: Career Coach
Design, develop, and deliver career management programming for students and alumni of Yale SOM. Programming includes large lectures, hands-on training programs, virtual and online/recorded programs, special events, one-on-one career coaching, and other special projects as needed. Assessing priorities, work load allocation, and managing internal and external relationships is key to successful management.
- Conceptualize, innovate/develop, and deliver/co-deliver career management programming to groups of 5-500 students. Programs include workshops, panel discussions, large scale conferences, and virtual/online training programs.
- Coach domestic and international students on appropriate career management and job search skills in one-on-one, small and large group settings.
- Manage or lead various special projects/programs that provide career related support, such as the Career Coach program (peer group coaching), Yale SOM Portal/Canvas platforms (career content sites), Consortium, and Admissions Liaison.
- Solicit, evaluate, track, and analyze data, using surveys and other tools/approaches, related to programming assignments. Lead strategic conversations with the CDO team, student organizations, and/or other Yale staff to determine program offerings and innovations.
- Market, manage, disseminate, and document career management messages/communications internally and externally that pertain to programming, initiatives, or student needs. Responsibilities may include creating integrated marketing messages to building brand awareness for various programs, coordinating volunteer participation, or managing routine student communications through electronic and print media.
- Analyze markets and trends as they relate to the graduate management education job search and incorporate tips/advice into coaching students, and in developing career programming and written content.
- Opportunity to oversee special populations within the graduate student population including creating targeted career programs, collaborating on employer development, and tracking student’s career success. For example, the Silver Scholars program, which focuses on pre-experience MBA students.
- Other related responsibilities and projects as necessary.
Measures of Success:
- Feedback from students, staff and external constituencies such as vendors, employers and alumni.
- Successful delivery and management of programming responsibilities.
- Knowledge of Yale SOM environment, including people, facilities and departments.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and five years of experience in a related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to make independent, responsible decisions that create positive outcomes for SOM students, alumni, and employers.
- Skilled in managing people and projects involving a high degree of detail, project management, and strong organization skills.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, writing, and communication skills. Proficiency in using on-line resources, spreadsheets and presentation software.
- Deep commitment to customer service and the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work successfully in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and track record of building and leading diverse, inclusive teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated initiative, and the ability to work both independently and within a team.
- A leader with a positive and can-do attitude that supports the mission of the school.
Master’s in business, counseling, or related field. Knowledge of career development theory & strong coaching/counseling skills. Min 5+ yrs experience in campus recruiting in industry or career services field in higher education. An understanding for needs of diverse student body (e.g. Visa). Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.