Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 64913BR
University Job Title: Assistant Director 2
Department Job Title: Associate Director for Community and Inclusion
Reporting to the Director of Community & Inclusion, the Associate Director (AD) plans and implements initiatives for community members related to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. Specifically, the AD is responsible for creating and delivering an annual curriculum of content for current students.
The AD will contribute to the development and execution of plans to meet school goals related to inclusion building and diversity initiatives. This position will manage Yale SOM’s diversity, equity, and inclusion related programming to enhance students’ learning experience while at Yale, and to increase their inclusive leadership skillsets when re-entering the workforce.
- Manage Community and Inclusion initiatives as they relate to student services.
- Develop and integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion topics into school programming
- Deliver programming directly and partner with external vendors to deliver training to the community via virtual and in-person learning offerings.
- Organize speaker series on racial justice; create safe spaces to talk openly about identity.
- Lead Affinity Months and cultural celebrations – activities, celebrations, acknowledgements.
- Provide support for student Affinity Clubs through advising, sharing feedback and best practices, and partnering on their initiatives.
- Provide support via 1:1s and office hours for community members as needed.
- Manage communications around Community and Inclusion for the community. In partnership with multiple stakeholders, develop effective diversity communications for community. Ensure that key messages with respect to diversity initiatives are positioned and integrated and that the needs of diverse audiences are considered and met.
- May be assigned to serve on key committees and to other projects or initiatives.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree in a related field and three years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated interest in learning across difference and fostering an inclusive environment.
- Superior facilitation skills in person and virtually. Familiarity with DEI best practices and content to recommend given our community’s needs.
- Ability to initiate programmatic and individual activities while functioning in a matrixed team setting. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ongoing collaboration and ability to partner effectively across multiple stakeholder groups.
- Strong analytical and technical skills, including ability to work with advanced MS Office, complex databases, and spreadsheets.
- Creative mindset and innovative approach to continuously improve programmatic offerings to best reach desired audiences.
MBA or other advanced degree. Five years of experience in higher education or a field consistent with career paths of management students. Experience presenting on and/or having subject matter expertise regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion topics in an organizational context. Prior experience and interest with program planning in higher education. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.