Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 66139BR
University Job Title: Student Services Officer 3, Professional Schools
Department Job Title: Associate Director for Admissions
Reports to the Managing Director of Admissions. As a core member of the professional admissions team, plans and participates in the recruitment, selection and attraction of the strongest possible student body for Yale School of Management (SOM). Leads the development and implementation of initiatives that fall within the Associate Director’s specific areas of responsibility. Supports management of data and analytics for reporting and for developing admissions strategy.
- Review and evaluate applications to the MBA program and present candidates to the other members of the Admissions Committee. (All committee members are professional admissions staff.) Contribute informed opinions regarding applicants’ final decisions.
- Interview and provide guidance and counseling to prospective students. Represent Yale SOM by speaking at events and interacting with prospective applicants.
- Manage and direct the overall efforts of the Admissions Office as they relate to a specific substantive coverage area: data and evaluation. Maintain key admissions data to enable effective and efficient monitoring within an application season and analysis across application seasons. Develop new and proactive ideas/programs for this area, assess for integration with the office’s overall strategy, and determine and identify appropriate staff participation for implementation and ongoing management of new programs.
- In conjunction with the senior Admissions staff, set the school’s and office’s strategic vision as it relates to the substantive coverage area.
- Participate in office operations as they relate to data and evaluation, and, as necessary, more broadly, including updating and maintaining candidate records and other database information.
- May supervise the daily activities of full-time and casual C&T staff and coordinate work with other M&P staff as they relate to the specific substantive coverage area.
- Design and implement innovative projects based on the needs of the admissions office.
- May be assigned to serve on key committees and to other projects or initiatives.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and four years of experience in a related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to initiate programmatic and individual activities while functioning in a team setting. Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Strong analytical and technical skills, including ability to work with advanced MS Office/Excel, complex databases, and spreadsheets.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills required to interact effectively with a range of internal and external constituencies.
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel, both domestic and international.
MBA or other advanced degree. Four years of experience in higher education or a field consistent with career paths of management student. Global orientation; experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language. Proficiency with statistical methods and software. Experience working in developing processes in an admissions or SQL database system, preferably Slate. Experience building reports, queries, and ensuring data integrity in databases.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.