Detailed Job Listing:
JOB FAMILY: MANAGERIAL AND PROFESSIONAL
STARS Requisition: 77781BR
University Job Title: Assistant Director 2
Department Job Title: Associate Director of Faculty Support Services
Manage and optimize academic support staff services for Yale School of Management (SOM). Manage full employment cycle, employee relations, and training and development for faculty support staff, teaching assistants, research assistants and other academic support resources as needed. Provide non-academic human resources services. Reports to the Managing Director of Human Resources.
- Proactively manage academic support team (25+) to provide ongoing high-quality support and coordinated coverage for periods of absence, special projects, and peak work periods to meet faculty needs as well as administrative needs across the school.
- Provide human resources services for non-academic support staff related to day-to-day operations including recruitment, employee relations, and training/development.
- Collaborate with SOM HR and Deputy Dean’s Office to assess and adjust faculty support assignments and org structure as needed to optimally support faculty and programs throughout the academic year.
- Proactively survey faculty, gather feedback and analyze support needs to ensure best possible service to faculty. Work collaboratively with colleagues in other administrative areas to inform best practices and most effective/efficient support services.
- Manage the Faculty Support Team Lead to ensure that incoming work is reviewed, prioritized, and assigned appropriately.
- Manage the teaching assistant (TA) and research assistant (RA) hiring and exit process for faculty. Inform TA and RA training as necessary. Ensure adherence to related policies and procedures.
- Manage the recruiting/hiring process for faculty support. Partner with New Haven Hiring Initiatives and New Haven Works for candidate sourcing. Prepare job descriptions, submit, and manage requisitions, evaluate, screen, manage reference check process and select applicants. Supervise, evaluate, and develop the largest support group in the school, often called upon to provide support across the school.
- In collaboration with SOM HR, Business Services, Events Management, IT, etc., develop and deliver ongoing individual and group training sessions or refer for outside training as appropriate. Manage the faculty support onboarding process to ensure staff are optimally integrated and supported. Manage the exit process and provide timely feedback to supervisors.
- Conduct individual and/or group staff meetings on a regular basis and follow-up with appropriate staff to address requests and concerns. Ensure team is current on all university, business operations, IT, student services, and curricular requirements and policies. Serve as liaison between faculty and/or managers and faculty support staff.
- Oversee and ensure optimal support for the faculty recruiting process.
- Participate in performance management process. Confer with and advise supervisors and employees on policy and procedure. Discuss and resolve employee problems, counsel employees and supervisors concerning performance and disciplinary matters, review and recommend course of action.
- Manage Time and Absence process and requests for time off in Workday.
- Manage faculty support account holder reports and oversee faculty support purchasing.
- In concert with the Deputy Dean’s Office, serve as expert source of information to students and faculty on policies, procedures, and office activities.
- Other projects as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Minimum requirement of Bachelor’s Degree in related field and three years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication, organizational skills, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated excellent judgment and ability to be flexible, work with interruptions, and shift priorities of work as required.
- Strong team player with ability to maintain strategic perspective while focusing on problem identification/problem solving.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, general ability to acclimate quickly/use new systems such as content management systems, survey tools, etc.
- Strong management skills to lead, development and deploy a large group of direct reports to deliver excellent support services.
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and track record of building and leading diverse, inclusive teams.
Learning Management System (Canvas), Qualtrics, and Jira.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.