STARS Requisition: 81782BR
University Job Title: Assistant Director 1
Department Job Title: Assistant Director for Academic Affairs and Student Life
The Assistant Director plans and executes a variety of operational, administrative, and curricular initiatives of Academic Affairs and Student Life (AASL). Provides strategic input for key elements of extra and co-curricular student programming and departmental projects. Builds and maintains strong relationships with university offices and members of the Yale School of Management (Yale SOM) and broader Yale University community. Provide guidance and programmatic support to students to enhance their experience at Yale SOM and their preparation as global leaders. This position reports to the Director of Curricular Advancement.
- Provide academic counseling to students, hold office hours, and share responsibility for Academic Affairs inbox.
- Coordinate academic resources and participate in outreach to students with academic outcomes of concern.
- Act as a resource for students and responsible for resolving student concerns related to the curricula, course auction, academic calendar and all other questions related to academics. Address academic concerns with students or triage and refer to senior staff for additional support.
- Oversee coordination between academic and student life services to ensure collaboration with programming.
- Coordinate academic accommodations for a wide variety of situations and student needs, communicating with students, faculty, and relevant administrative office.
- With AASL team members, assist with programming, initiatives, and projects related to the Global Studies Requirement including, but not limited to, the IE and Exchange Program.
- Participate in the planning and execution of a range of academic programs and services for students enrolled in the degree programs including communications, academic support, curricular and co-curricular support, and general academic experience.
- Assist with the planning and scheduling of the department’s major events, meetings, and sessions in advance. Coordinate with Registrar about academic calendar. Share and coordinate this calendar with relevant departments around the school.
- Provide support in all AASL department events as necessary and any other projects as needed, which includes Commencement and all other AASL major events.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 3 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Access, Outlook Calendar, PowerPoint or equivalent.
- Superior interpersonal skills to interact effectively and represent the school well with students, faculty, and administrators.
- Superior demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Ability to craft and articulate messages for various audiences. Writing sample required at interview.
- Proven organizational skills, including the ability to organize and manage multiple projects and processes simultaneously.
- Positive and can-do attitude that supports the mission of the school. Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and changing environment. Excellent attendance record.
- Proven commitment to diversity and inclusion, equity, and excellence.
Bachelor’s degree. Global orientation.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.