Detailed Job Listing:
job family: managerial and professional
STARS Requisition: 60257BR
University Job Title: Director 3
Department Job Title: Assistant Dean of Development
Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean for Development and Alumni Relations, directs, manages, and provides strategic guidance to a team of several fundraising units in the Yale School of Management’s (Yale SOM) Development Office (including Annual Giving, Reunion and Leadership Giving, Major Gifts, Development Operations, Institutional Giving, and Development Communications.) Liaise with these respective teams in Yale’s central development office. Support development volunteers including the staffing of advisory boards and campaign related committees.
- Manages, mentors, and guides a team of high-level directors in their work in support of fundraising activities.
- Works closely with senior management to develop both short- and long-term fundraising goals and strategies to achieve increased gift revenue results.
- Works with staff to develop and implement plans to carry out the school’s goals and strategies, including establishing specific activity goals for all phases of the donor/prospect life cycle.
- Maintains and strengthens relationships with key volunteers and serves as point person for one or more advisory board(s).
- Leads efforts to identify and cultivate new donors.
- Maintains a portfolio of major and principal gift prospects.
- Implements strategies to provide professional development for staff and to encourage their highest level of performance.
- Promotes relationships between Yale SOM’s prospects and the Dean, other senior leaders of the school, central development staff, faculty and volunteer leaders.
- Participates in the development of strategy and content for all development publications and events.
- Serves as the primary contact for fundraising issues for various groups across the school.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in related field. Seven years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Highly developed project management skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills and professional demeanor required to interact effectively with faculty, staff, students, alumni, and dignitaries in a complex, fast-paced and changing environment.
- Ability to deal with complex issues and sensitive situations that require confidentiality.
- Excellent computer skills including well developed knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and Internet search engines, ability to use development databases, and electronic business systems.
- Superior organizational skills; ability to prioritize, manage, and coordinate multiple items/projects.
- A leader with a positive and can-do attitude that supports the mission of the school.
- Ability to handle crises as well as a wide range of short- and long-term management issues.
- Ability to represent the school well in working collegially with peers and colleagues within and outside the university.
- Domestic and possibly international travel required.
Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of fundraising experience including six years of experience managing/leading a team of fundraising professionals. Global orientation, experience working across countries and regions, and fluency in more than one language.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.