Yale SOM is unique among business schools in its close integration with its parent university in mission, culture, and intellectual activity. Our students and faculty seek out insights and understanding from across disciplines and areas of study.
Yale MBA students have the opportunity to take elective courses across the university, including unique Yale classes examining the major issues facing society. SOM electives typically include Yale students from outside the school, as well, adding richness to in-class discussions and group project work. Students also regularly engage with faculty from throughout the university, as well as prominent invited lecturers. Examples of Yale courses that MBA students took in 2012–2013 include:
- Studies in Grand Strategy
- Law, Technology, and Culture
- International Economics
- Economics of the Environment
- Gateway to Global Affairs
- Health Policy and Health Systems
- Alternative Investments and Law
A substantial proportion of Yale SOM students pursue joint-degrees with other Yale programs, strengthening connections with the broader university. These include programs with Yale Law School, the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs, the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, and the Yale School of Medicine.
Centers and Programs
Yale SOM students and faculty engage with university-wide centers and programs that link scholars across schools and disciplines, allowing for broad consideration of pressing global issues.
- Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics
- Jackson Institute for Global Affairs
- MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies
- Yale Center for the Study of Globalization
- Yale Entrepreneurial Institute
- Yale World Fellows Program
Many prominent Yale College and other Yale University alumni have close ties to the School of Management, supporting the school financially, visiting the school, and advising students. A few examples include:
- Jeffrey L. Bewkes YC '74
Chairman & CEO, Time Warner Inc.
- Frances G. Beinecke YC '71
President, Natural Resources Defense Council
- James S. Chanos YC '80
President and Founder, Kynikos Associates
- Wilbur L. Ross, Jr. YC '59
Chairman & CEO, WL Ross & Company, LLC
- Laura S. Scher YC '80
Cofounder, Chairperson, and CEO, Working Assets/CREDO Mobile
- Eric Braverman YC '97, LAW '02
CEO, The Clinton Foundation