Job Family: Clerical and Technical
STARS Requisition: 78096BR
University Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Department Job Title: Administrative Assistant, Faculty Support
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to faculty members and various administrative departments in all areas including support for teaching and research, programs, and financial transactions. Under the supervision of faculty members and the Assistant Director of Faculty Support, serve as a member of the faculty support team.
- Serve as source of information to students, staff, and faculty on policies, procedures, and office activities.
- Format, prepare, edit, and proofread a variety of material. Assemble attachments and review outgoing material for completeness.
- Scan course work and other documents. Download and upload course related information for the web for faculty course work and research. Secure/purchase teaching materials and obtain copyright permissions from publishers. Post course material to leaning management system.
- Support assigned courses as session coordinator. Using Zoom (or other video conferencing communications) schedule class, create Zoom links for course meetings, virtually (or in-person) attend class and monitor or set up for session, support faculty with logistical issues, and communicate with students via Zoom chat (as needed and directed by faculty member), alert Media Services of any technical problems in the Zoom room, and moderate participation.
- Serve as a source of information to faculty, students, and staff on classroom AV technology.
- Search for information on-line and in various libraries (ORBIS, download articles). Submit research papers on-line.
- Gather, compile, organize and manipulate data to create reports or summaries. May design and set up spreadsheets and graphics. Create slides or make changes to PowerPoint presentations.
- Use the University’s electronic systems for expense management, vendor set-up, travel booking and placing product and service orders with vendors. Collect receipts for reimbursement of travel (domestic and international) and monitor reimbursements to Yale. Work closely with department’s business office in execution of all financial transactions. Prepare all documents in accordance with University policies and procedures.
- Coordinate logistics for seminars and guest lecturers. Schedule and coordinate meetings, talks and visitors (both on and off campus), including specifics of site visits, itineraries, travel arrangements, publicity, catering, entertainment, and accommodations. Maintain electronic calendar. Prepare required forms and reimbursements.
- Serve as point of contact for faculty recruiting process and assist new faculty with office set up and orientation process.
- Assist faculty members with various activities which can include large mail merges for letters of recommendation, recruitment and other correspondence, scheduling, and other matters, as requested.
- May work on faculty web sites as directed by faculty member.
- Identify problems with workflow, equipment and environment and make suggestions for improving the workplace. Manage ordering, stocking, and distribution of office and kitchen supplies, and incoming and outgoing mail and packages.
- Greet visitors, answer, and screen telephone calls. Organize and maintain filing systems.
- Serve as member of faculty support team, provide training, and back up support for other faculty support staff and various departments.
- Perform additional duties incidental to office activities as necessary to maintain highest level of customer service.
Required Education & Experience:
Four years of related work experience, two of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or two years of related work experience and an Associate’s degree; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Intermediate or better computer skills including proficiency of Windows and Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Outlook (Calendar) and PowerPoint or equivalent. Internet navigation skills.
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear, pleasant, grammatically correct, and professional manner. Ability to represent the School professionally at events.
- Ability to prioritize to meet deadlines and follow schedules, multi-task effectively with strong attention to accuracy, detail, thoroughness and follow-through with conflicting demands and deadlines.
- Excellent attendance record. Ability to function effectively as part of a team to provide support to faculty and Yale SOM Departments. Ability to flex schedule or work occasional overtime.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and accomplish work for several faculty members and to regularly solve problems, take initiative, and anticipate actions needed. Ability to properly use independent judgment.
Bachelor’s Degree. Web maintenance skills. Administrative support experience. Working experience of Yale policies and procedures; experience with event planning. Experience with learning management system. Ability to provide classroom AV support.
- Customer Service Focus – Listening carefully to and understanding customers’ needs and proactively responding to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Teamwork/Communication – Working cooperatively to achieve common goals. Support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
- Product Excellence – Provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
- Leadership – Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Innovative – Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Strategic Thinking – Recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.