Wrapping Up the Year with a Winter Formal

I can’t believe that one quarter of my MBA program is now done! It’s a bitter sweet feeling. This time of the year is one of the busiest times as we are juggling internship applications, exams for our Core classes and everything else! After all the craziness, we do get a long well-deserved winter break.

If you are applying this year, I suggest you take the opportunity to attend any Winter Social Events organized in your city. I had a lot of fun meeting students from Yale SOM and hearing about their experiences when I was in the application process last year.

One of the most exciting events of the year for both first and second years is our Formal. The theme this year was a Masquerade. Rumors have it that one of my fellow first year “goldies,” (Gold Cohort) Monique, suggested the theme.  Big props to her! The Formal is a fantastic event! It is an opportunity to catch up with friends; we have all been running around recruiting for different fields: investment banking, consulting, non-profit, etc. This year, the timing of the event was between finals so it also gave us a chance to unwind.

To start the night, my girlfriends had a get together to get ready together at a friend’s house downtown. I was all set to go, however, my significant other was flying in for the Formal and his flight got delayed. Toronto had just had a storm the night before! At Yale SOM, partners are always welcomed to attend our social events. Instead, I had some of my guy friends over for a little get together while I waited for my partner to arrive to New Haven. There was no shortage of pre-Formal events to attend that night! When my partner got in, we got ready and headed to the Omni Hotel, the location for this year’s Formal.

One of my first year friends, Kolin, was the photographer for the night! I am always amazed by the various skills of my classmates. Kolin was the single photographer and he did an amazing job! The photo booth was extremely popular throughout the night. I had a chance to catch up with my girlfriends at the Formal and we took some great photos at the photo booth. Aside from taking pictures, we danced the night away!!! It was one of the best events this year and I highly recommend it to our incoming class! I am already excited for next year’s Formal. But before that, I am very excited about our ski trip to Killington, Vermont. Believe it or not, this Canadian has never skied before. My classmates convinced me to try it for the first time! Look for a re-cap of the trip in late January!

Happy Holidays to everyone, and congratulations to the admitted students for the Class of 2017!